Vibration Analyzer for mtr, Worth it or not?

Does the bearing have a grease nipple ? If it does, try 1 pump of high temperature grease while rotating the motor slowly by hand.

If not, I agree with the other posters that the best way is to get some accredited NDT technicians in to monitor the vibration at regular intervals.

Tim.

Does the bearing have a grease nipple ? If it does, try 1 pump of high temperature grease while rotating the motor slowly by hand.

If not, I agree with the other posters that the best way is to get some accredited NDT technicians in to monitor the vibration at regular intervals.

Tim.

You have to be careful with this. More bearings are ruined by overgreasing than by undergreasing.

Most motors have a drain plug at the bottome that you should open while greasing to let excess grease purge. The manufacturers usually recommend you leave this open for a while after the motor is started.

The problem with excess grease is that it can't move away from the bearing race properly, building up heat. This causes the oil contained in the grease to be too thin, causing lack of lubrication in an overgreased bearing. This seems like an oxymoron untul you think about it!

Older motors say built before 1960 or so often had bearings that were open race ie not a sealed unit. In most cases I have seen they were filled with grease when assembled and ran fine for 10 or 20 years. In very few cases was greasing required or needed.

Modern motors have seals to keep dirt and junk out of races but are still a "nearly sealed" design. On the periphery you will find a small hole to let grease in. This hole is about a #50 or 60 drill size. Excess grease especially if overgreased will flow around the bearing itself and then into the motor and all over the internals.

Why modern motors come with grease fittings ie zircs I do not understand. Several plases where I worked took out the zircs to avoid the idea "it has a zirc so it must need grease".

Re previous comment and using hi temp grease. good stuff no argument and if used on the right equipment ie hot running it is correct. Otehrwise for the average motor it is not the right grease and more than likely a waste of money. Not only that you are probably mixing lubricants which is not a good idea in general.

Dan Bentler

Hi,

Does the bearing have a grease nipple ?

Yes, and it has a plug/vent loooking device at the bottom to relieve or drain excess. The drain device looks like one of those gearbox vent plugs that let air escape but won't let air back in. It has a center pin that raises under pressure or retracts with a spring. It the zerk looks too clean to have been greased by any of our mechanics.
I am using the word mechanics "loosely". We staff that we have are supposed to be "Multi Craft" endowed. Seems to me like a lot of them are more electrical crafted than mechanical. ANyhow.. I'll give it a shot of grease tommorrow & keep an eye on it. It may make it along until cooler weather. I'm going to call the local motor shop & give them a heads up just in case. That way they can have a bearing on the shelf ready to go.

BD