Vibration/velocity sensor

dnelson

We have a machine that settles product and looking for a sensor that would give amplitude and frequency. I have looked at several sensors/transmitters and I am unsure if they would work in our application. The ones I have seen are meant for applications where vibration is not desired. The vibration platter vibrates anywhere from 0.25 inches to .5 inches.

I was thinking vibration analysis or balancing equipment until I saw specs. Is this instrument for measurement when setting up or for use in operation?

Dan Bentler

This will be used during operation. The platter weighs approx. 300 lbs and is supported by 4 heavy duty springs. 2 three phase motors are mounted underneath driving a set of counter weights. when we are having trouble settling product we generally add more weight to the counter balance. A displacement sensor from Keyence just might work I will contact our rep for more info.

The product varies by the customer of course. I would say the majority goes into settling cases of French fries.

Dan - here's a link to one of the Vibrator/Settlers. While this is a smaller one the springs which support the vibration platter are more apparent. An example of use is the frozen french fry industry. The bags of french fries (already frozen) are placed in a corrugated case. The bags are deliberately overfilled and stick up in the case. Going through the machine they settle down so that the case can be easily closed. Other vibrator machines listed on the left hand side incorporate the case closing operation within the same machine.

(Daryl works with me, by the way.)

Last edited:
use 2 counter weights this way by turning one of them you can adjust the magnitude of vibration. the speed is dependent of the setting of the VFD.
and yes with changing masses in the bowl the speed may need changing to get in vibration.
have a look at the very simple arduino stuff.