WAGO Controller and Maple Systems HMI Addressing

I added a few JPGs on here.
Buttons on the HMI turn on Outputs on the PLC.
Also Indicators display the status of the inputs.
The Numeric Display shows the FW version not sure if it's right but I get numbers, pay attention to the format of the ND on the HMI, I believe I set it up for Unsigned 16 bit under its properties.
The Modbus stuff are visible on the screen as far as what to use to access the elements (Registers & codes).
Hope this helps.

IX0.0.jpg IX0.1.jpg MX0.0.jpg MX0.1.jpg Screen.jpg

PS: @drbitboy - I tried 3x8208 and 4x8208 with no success.

Yeah, I just know what the 0x prefix usually means e.g. see here or here or here; I know diddly about Modbus, other than that the problem is off-by-one a fair percentage of the time.

To me it is very odd that the table of Modbus registers in that attached image had the registers' addresses in hexadecimal, but all of the 4x addresses in the other attached images were in decimal.

Hmm, the other Modbus example show 5-digit Modbus addresses; is it possible to try 4x08208 and 3x08208?

By the way, are you getting any value back from any of these Modbus register reads?

Last edited:
The list shown by clintm is only true when "x" is a four or five-digit decimal number, between 1-65536. No actual "x" in the address. On the wire, the prefix (0, 1, 3, 4) is converted into a function code for that address range and the rest is converted to a zero-based offset, 0-65535. These latter offsets are often shown in vendor docs as hexadecimal, of with the traditional "C" language "0x" prefix.

Occasionally, you get a dumb vendor who implements the offset on the wire as 1-65535, yielding confusion. The Modbus spec also does not dictate byte order of strings within 16-bit registers, nor the word order of 32-bit or larger data types. (Early Modicons did floats opposite of later ones, so there's no de-facto standard to point at.)

The spec isn't a large document:

https://modbus.org/docs/Modbus_Application_Protocol_V1_1b3.pdf

@bkottaras and @drbitboy - Thank you very much guys! Everything's working as it should now.

It turns out that the addresses in the manual need to be incremented by 1 which is interesting because the last screenshot by bkottaras shows the addresses as they are in the manual. Perhaps it's because his PLC is a different model? Go figure!

So in my project I had to use 8209 for the firmware address and 1228901 for the toggle switch address for everything to work.

Now I can start getting into it!

Thanks again.

@bkottaras and @drbitboy - Thank you very much guys! Everything's working as it should now.

It turns out that the addresses in the manual need to be incremented by 1 which is interesting because the last screenshot by bkottaras shows the addresses as they are in the manual. Perhaps it's because his PLC is a different model? Go figure!

So in my project I had to use 8209 for the firmware address and 1228901 for the toggle switch address for everything to work.

Now I can start getting into it!

Thanks again.

What driver are you using for the HMI?
The screen shots I posted are all based on "0 based addressing".
I think you are using a "1 based addressing" thus the incrementing of addressing by 1 works.
All good!

I'm using EasyBuilder 5000 (v 4.5) and I believe the driver I'm using is Modbus TCP/IP (I could be wrong). I've tried to use v 4.65 but the project doesn't seem to work... I may need to update the firmware on the HMI5080T.

I've had a look and cannot find the screen where 0-based or 1-based addressing can be selected though.