Way O.T!! Crazy Canadian economy

allscott

As some of you probably recall I've been happily unemployed for a few months now. I was offered and accepted a job near my hometown in Saskatchewan that I am looking forward to starting at in September.

Here's the crazy part. I purchased my current home in Alberta for $244,000.00 about a year ago which to me was a crazy amount of money to spend on a house at the time. When I moved in the basement was 90% done. Since I've been unemployed I finished it off (doors, baseboards, tile in the bathroom etc....). I figure I spent about $3000.00 total.

I listed the house today for $389,000.00. I had three offers at 5PM all over list price. I declined them all and told them to re-offer. It sold about 2 hours ago for $405,000.00. I feel like I won the lottery

This economy is absolutely nuts!! Fast food restaraunts are closing at 6:00 PM because they can't hire enough workers and their paying $15.00/hr! I am glad to get out of here, if the price of oil tanks or interest rates go up a couple of percent these people who are mortgaged to the hilt are going to be in serious trouble. It will be ugly.

So now the big question for me, Corvette or boat??? Opinions welcome, may even warrant a survey.

rsdoran said:
retirement..u aint getting younger.

(n)

Oh come on that's no fun, I'm only 31. Yes I will put a bunch of that away for retirement and the kids education. But I'm still young enough to do something fun for a change, I hope:)

Hmmm... Boating? Unless it doesn't come with a motor I'm not interested. Now, I could use a new whitewater raft... Or maybe a kayak....

Corvette? Bahhh.
(But all of my vehicles have just been items to get me from point A to point B, so I'm not the best person to ask about "car stuff")

Now, that 10,000 USD computer gaming rig with the 30 inch monitor... Now that's MY superfluous spending item of choice. As soon as I win the lottery......

Different strokes...

My boat will definately have a motor. My kids are at the age where towing them around on a water toy and teaching them how to ski sounds like a blast.

The Corvette is more of a childhood fantasy. I have always liked things that went fast. The thought of driving it past my high school guidance councillor, who thought I wouldn't amount to anything, seems appealing as well.

As far as the computer, I used to build them for a living many years ago. I know my boat or corvette will depreciate but not near as fast as the latest and greatest PC. I am quite content to use my $800.00 compaq and 19" LCD, it looks a lot better than the 14" CRT I had three years ago.

Last edited:
Don't depress me, I'm coming over to Cananda in October on a scouting mission to prepare my attempt to move and work there, one of my reasons is the affordability compared to the UK (London the worse).

I have a friend in Alberta whose been telling me how the house prices are rocketing there, I'll be visiting him and another in Saskatoon, as well as Toronto, where I will probably try to live eventually.

Part of my mission is to look at the cost of living in these areas, but I feel finding work will be the problem as I will be trying a short cut (live there for 6 months and look for a job offer to help in getting a visa).

I STRONGLY encourage you to consider Saskatoon, or even Regina for that matter. I've been all over this continent and I have never been in a place with friendlier people than here in good ole Saskatchewan.

As far as real estate, my home was a 1420 sq ft. bungalow, 5 years old on a big lot. Nice but not a palace by any means. I live in a smaller community in Alberta. I would guestimate that this house in Calgary or Edmonton would go for $550,000 - $600,000 (again crazy, it's just sticks and carpet)!

In Saskatoon I would guess about 280,000.00 - 300,000.00 for the same house. The economy in Saskatchewan is good but not ridiculous like it is here.

The official vacancy rate in Red Deer alberta (close to me) is 0%. People with well paying jobs are living in campgrounds. Real estate has gone up 42% in the last 12 months.

I lived in Saskatoon for 4 months about 10 years ago. It is a very nice city with a river running right through the middle of it. It is also the "technology capital" of Saskatchewan. The university as well as private enterprises are doing some pretty cool things there.

I can't comment on Toronto I have never been there.

If you have any questions about your move to Canada let me know, I will be more than happy to help.

Hi

I was on holiday in Ontario a couple of years ago, and I remember a discussion we had with three Canadian families at one of the B&Bs we stayed at. One family was from Alberta, the others were Ontarions. At one stage I raised what I thought might be a sensitive issue. What did the others think of the separatist dreams of Quebec? Were they in favour of Quebec devolving?

"Hell, yes" was the unanimous response, "So long as they take all their debts with them!" Everybody seemed to think they personally subsidised half the province! The guy from Alberta was especially put out. I recall him saying that because Alberta was so rich in mineral and oil reserves personal taxes could be easily be removed. The province could survive quite happily on corporate taxation alone. If it wasn't for Quebec!

Do people in Alberta just have too much disposable income? Is the place too well off? Is inflation an inevitable downside to all of this?

Regards

Ken

Part of the reason I have Canada as first choice was the fact I worked in Montreal for 10 months and loved every moment (outside work) of it.

Take away the paranoia of the 'French' thing they have and its a wonderful place.

But they were poor in comparison, as an example I remember the difference in the roads when crossing fom Quebec to Ontario, suddenly all the pot holes dissapeared. I was told that 'industry' abandoned Quebec when they came close to seperation 10-20 years ago and they're just recovering from that.

Their stance seems daft and suicidal to me, they're surrounded by 'English' speaking provinces and thye US and they encourage (more like enforce) discrimination against English speakers.

Being Welsh and knowing the fight to maintain the Welsh language as a living language, I understand their desire to maintain French as a main language, but forcing people to speak French and forcing employers to employ only French speakers is too much as far as I'm concerned.

The other odd thing in Canada is, which is total Canada, is the immigration thing.

On one hand they are actively trying to get skilled labour into the country and on the other hand, enforce employers to employ Canadians first, only allowing non-Canadians to be employed if no Canadian has 'applied' after 20-40 days? Even if the canadian is not the better candidate.

Hardly encouraging that. What happens then, is the employers don't even look at non-Canadians.

For me and my wife to emigrate it will cost ÂŁ1500 ($3000) and a wait of up to 42 months. Once the paperwork is done I can move into Canada BUT will not be classed as Canadian for 5 years.

So I'm aiming to move to Canada on a visiters visa for up to 6 months and look for work, as the 'correct' route will not make it that much easier. I'll apply for a working visa with a job offer or at least that's the plan.

Yes, people from Alberta really do have more money than they know what to do with.

I recently received a "prosperity cheque" from the Alberta governtment. They gave $400.00 to every man, woman, and child who happened to live in Alberta. The taxes here are already low compared to the rest of the country. Canada has what are called "equilazation" payments. In a nut shell the "have" provinces pay money to the "have not" provinces. In Alberta this equates to approx 2 billion a year transfered out.

The oil reserves in Alberta are second only to Saudi Arabia. It was economical to exploit these reserces at $40.00/barrel at $70.00/barel it is like printing money. Don't even get me started on natural gas.

Quebec has always considered themselves special. And they are.:cry:. They have a different language and culture.
If you look at history you will see that the french were bailed out by Canada, the UK, and the U.S in WW1 and WW2. A thought that seems to be ignored.

The support for the seperatist movement seems to have stalled. I thhink the frenchies have come to their senses.

I've been to Canada on holiday twice and thoroughly enjoyed it both times. Ontario, as I mentioned, and a couple of years before that in Nova Scotia. I can't imagine these will be my last visits - there's just so much of it to enjoy. Not to mention the late Mr Horton's fine establishments!

I was in a Canadian friend's home on the day of the men's fours rowing final in the 2004 Athens Olympics when the British boat narrowly beat the Canadians by 0.08 seconds after 6 minutes 6.98 secs of rowing. Wow, we were hoarse shouting at each other that afternoon!

Regards

Ken

Another story in Montreal, one Quebecan engineer argued until he was blue in tha face that Wolfe never actually took Quebec and therefore as it was never captured was still French! (not that they'd let any real French anywhere near it :D )

I can't comment on Toronto I have never been there.
As we westerners say (current and ex) ...if Canada ever needed an enema....

I remember the difference in the roads when crossing fom Quebec to Ontario, suddenly all the pot holes dissapeared
Allscott will notice the reverse driving from Alberta to Saskatchewan.

I have Canada as first choice
Peter, did I put you off NZ??

Not to mention the late Mr Horton's fine establishments!
The famous Maple Leafs No.7 - not forgetting his line-mate Bobby Baun.

Gerry said:
Peter, did I put you off NZ??

No, not at all. Cananda has always been my first choice for two reasons.

Firstly I have been there and seen the attitudes and lifestyle which I thought was very good.

Secondly, as my wife is Japanese, it would be easier for her to get to see her folks, especially if I could end up in Vancouver, the more west the better.

New Zealand sounds great, a friend's brother lives there but I've never been there, so it will be a risk. I do believe I would like it there though.

A job offer from either country would swing it.

(y) 🤞🏻

tom_stalcup said:
Hmmm... Boating? Unless it doesn't come with a motor I'm not interested. Now, I could use a new whitewater raft... Or maybe a kayak....

Are you a whitewater fanatic? I've been canoeing since 10 and whitewater kayaking for about 15 years. Used to do a some V's but kids, house, career, etc. keeps out of the boat too much for me to feel comfortable running a lot of V's now. My wife used to work in the industry for a paddle manufacturer.