What are some industries that you wouldn't want to work in?

Stay away from the recycling industry. Its dirty, stinky sometimes and most often freezing in the winter and HOT in the summer. As most facilities collect material outside in piles and have it streamed via conveyors to material balers or compactors that often only have a roof and are therefore exposed to the weather!

Whats more distressing to see is the fact that people are hired to stand along the conveyors and sort through different grades of paper, or plastic which has them exposed to the elements year around for no more than minimum wage often.

Pure Motivation to learn a trade I would think!

p.s. However there is likely not many better places to get experience as you will often be the only technical guy onsite. Therefore you will get LOTS of hands on experience with Controls, Programming, Hydraulics, Mechanical and Structural problems.

Any plant that has a boiler/thermal oxidizer that I need to restart and re-heat the system

I had to change the oil in a system this was about 20k gallons and took a few days, the oil heated the water/boiler so we needed to heat it back up and it also took a few days

After everything cooled then heated back up we had a ton of leaks (water and oil) that needed to be fixed

First time I saw a heat ex-changer jump about 2 feet, it was about 30ft long and 6ft in diameter

The whole time the plant manager saying "we need to run production now!"

Well the Production God will just have to wait for the steam plant to warm up. I too have war stories when we rushed it.
I now leave when I see steam pipes bouncing or banging and clanging.

Dan Bentler