What Do You Use To Program PLC's?

What does your organization program PLC's with? Check all that apply!

• Engineering staff use a desktop computer

Votes: 6 14.6%
  • Engineering staff use a laptop computer

Votes: 23 56.1%
  • Shop personnel use a desktop computer

Votes: 4 9.8%
  • Shop personnel use a laptop computer

Votes: 8 19.5%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
It's been a while since i used desktop, specially since I got
my Latitute D800. I don't remember when was the last time
i was asked to provide printed plc program. Printer is used
only in the office and only to print purchase orders and
electrical diagrams. I would like to get rid of paper trail
for PO_s as well (maybe one day...). It would be nice to have
DWGs in the HMI as well. It is becomming more of a reality since
more people are abandoning conventional HMIs and going for
computers so they can have programming software and everything
else (such as logging) right at the machine.
Soon I might need no laptop either... :p

I use to have one PC for field and office work.
I dont like to replace computers.I have all the programming software and all my pdf files on this machine.So where ever I go I have all my stuff with me.
I have all the installation on my hard disk just in case and backup my OS with ghost so I can restore my PC if some thing happened very easily.
As the "owner of my self" I use to buy the best PC for my self.
I like big screen high resolution with out exaggeration.(Powerfull and cheap $2000-2500)
I use to replace my computer every 2-3 years depend my computer condition.
I have Dell LATITUDE C840 15' UXGA screen 2 years old and brand new Compaq NC 8000.Just waiting for me.
Real RS 232 port is very important the Dell have it also the Compaq.I have also another PCIMCA RS 232 port.
I am too busy to setup my new PC ,it take about week or so to install Win2K and all the programmin software.so my son use it for now and he wait to my PC.
I dont like all the pad and joysticks instead the mouse so I use mini laser mouse.

I use both. I use the desktop to do all the wiring and panel layouts and the laptop for all the programming. I have a laptop table with casters on it to wheel around in the shop. Oh, and when buying laptops, it is very improtant that they have at least a built-in DVD player (I need something to do while waiting around in the hotel room. :) )

Eric:

Years ago at GE school they told me that you can't argue with success. So if you aren't having any problems, they may have been correct by the programming software company, or windows version ***, or the bios chip people, or the computer manufacturer.

Won't say here who the plc company was, but they were a 2 initial company, and neither initial was an "A".

I don't have any "new" Cimplicity to try out, but then don't have a HP or Compaq, either.

RE: Micron Laptops

Many (possibly all) new ones have a Pentium 4, which gets super hot. May not be a problem for everyone. I also equate heat to battery drain, but haven't heard anything about that yet.

Keep the comments coming, as always, regards.....casey

I haven't seen anyone say they use a Hand Held Programmer (HHP) yet.
They only work on Micrologix, but I do find it useful to do a quick analysis or bit toggle.
Once you get used to it you can program some fairly complex stuff. ( Not to say it will work!)
Also use desktop & laptop.

Iam from the hend held programmers generation.I used them until 1995 I think.
At that time PC was rare and hend held was common.
I still have 2 Omron hend held and I throw some other to garbage can before few weeks.
I made some big programes with it.But no place to compare with PC.
I still keeping my first laptop it was Compaq DX25 the unique thing with this PC was it look like Tablet PC of our days with pen instead of mouse and total separation between the screen and the hardware to the keyboard.This machine come before her time.

azecraze said:
I haven't seen anyone say they use a Hand Held Programmer (HHP) yet.

The last time I use a HPP was on a GE Series 3. Actually the programmer is intregral to the CPU. Problem with using an HPP is how do you save your old file in case you screw it up...With a cassete tape?? Not me...

Ok so today I pulled out my laptop, dusted it off and went out to a jobsite to change a timer value!! I hate this thing. What I really hate is the finger touch pad thing. Years ago I had a Toshiba laptop with a trackball that clipped on the right side. I loved that track ball. I wish I could have one for my current laptop.

Mark,

That Logitech mouse looks pretty cool. Problem is on most sites (the only time I use the laptop), there's no where to run a mouse. I usually find myself sitting on the floor, or a milk crate with the laptop in my....lap. My lap top has a touch pad, not the eraser head. I just cant get used to it.

What would be really cool would be someting like the gloves that they used in the movie Minority Report.

Mike,

I completely understand that one! The two best laptops I've seen for real-world PLC work are IBM and Toshiba partly because of the eraser head pointing device, but also because they manage to survive better than most.

Story on my old Toshiba. 300 lb gorilla steped on it on a jobsite at a hospital. After I got over my stroke, we found it working fine. But it forever has the profile of a flattened bannana.

I love my old Acer laptop. I enjoyed the Acer desktop too. Usually, I am on a Gateway desktop, but it is NOT my choice, and on occasion, I get to use a Dell desktop.

Several years ago, I was using some kind of computer, all I rememeber is that it had a 21" Viewsonic Monitor, WOW!!! I think any computer would look good with that monitor.

I have been envious of the guys, like Pual Davis, with Sager laptops.

I once had an excellant Road Warrior laptop for a few months, and hated to have to turn it in becuase it wasn't company standard (IBM). Road Warrior's manufacturer of the went out of business, too bad.

I've had far too many IBM, Compaq, and Gateway desktops in the corporate world. They have all been on a network, and none really ran satisfacorily, probably due to the networks didn't run well.

Eric and Arik: I think I'll look into the NC8000, like I said, you can't argue with success.

Depending how new ownership goes, I may be presented with a new bottom of the line Dell laptop and desktop. On the otherhand, it could swing the other way, and I have to bring in some of my antiques.

I have an old mint condition 8088 with a 20 meg hard drive. At one time, I had a sophisticated word processing software package, another for publishing, a simple cad program, and Lotus 123 on the hard drive. Still could use it for LogicMaster!

I would like to say new owners coming in with an unlimited budget, but that won't happen. Looks like employee-owned will be as good as it gets, ouch!

Time will tell!

Anyway, keep them posts a coming...

regards.....casey

Last edited:
Casey, I have a purpose built P IV on my desktop. Specified what I wanted. It has an nVidia FX5700 graphics card with 256 meg ram. I use both outputs to drive 2 monitors. One is a Mitsubishi 93SB 19" monitor. It has a rectangular grid like the old Sony screens (Trinitron). Brilliant. No room obn the desk for a 21 or 22.

The other output from the card drives a Mitsubishi 17" I have had for some years. It has a genuine Sony Tritron tube in it. It is a better monitor than the bigger one.

The computer has 1 gig ram. I use it for CAD, programming, accounts, everything except games. No time for games (sigh).

I do my design work first and then load the CAD drawings on the big screen. The PLC software (whichever brand at the time) is on the 17" screen. The I/O designation is already on CAD so I just go from screen to screen writing software and referring to the drawing at the same time.

I also usually have Word, Excel and quite often a SCADA system running at the same time. Not enough monitors. Copy and paste from the PLC software to Excel, Word and the SCADA system. Saves a lot of typing. Will have to look at buying another graphics cards and 2 more monitors.

The HP XE3 laptop is also hooked up on the network.