What is "Rung"

Garnet

Hello and good day to you all.

I have a question on behalf of a friend.

What is the term "Rung" ?

I hope that you'll bow down and help a total newbie...

Kind Regards
Henrik (Denmark)

A rung is an indivual line in a "ladder" type PLC program. The program resembles a ladder, thus the term rung.

Look at the top of the screen for the "learn PLCs" button. There is a great tutorial for newbies.

The term "rung" refers to part of a diagram. The term was started long ago when Electricians and Engineers began to develope relay logic. When you look at an electrical diagram of relay logic it appears to look like a Ladder of sorts. The left side of the ladder is usually refered to as the power bar, the right side is another power bar "the neutral or return".

|...1CR.......................CR2 |
|---[ ]------------------( )--|

This is called a "rung", it contains all the Bolean logic to make the output turn on. Power comes from the left side, if CR1 is turned on the "contacts" of that "control relay" will close, thereby causing "control relay" 2 to turn on. PLC programs represent bolean logic the same way so that's what a rung is and a little history behind it...

Hope this helps...
Bitmore

Last edited: