What is the best way to add 135 PIDE loops to my studio 5000 program?

plctek

Hello Everyone,

I have about 135 controller PIDE loops that I need to add to my Studio 5000 and that means I will probably have to create about 135 different PIDE function block routine for each of these loops. Is adding the 135 function blocks the best way of going about this? AS this will take hours.

What is the best and quickest way to do so?

I have imported my list of controller tags from the csv file successfully into studio 5000 but have not yet entered the PV, SP, Kc, etc... for each.

I would like your thought. Thanks!

Honestly, I would create a user defined data type with all of the parameters that you need to use to control or modify control on the PIDE. If all of the controllers are going to be the same style and have the same requirements, build a couple controllers and indirectly address the loops.

I would probably use a UDT where one tag name change will redo the entire routine. Develop the routine one time in the main application. Export the routine and import to a scratch project in another Studio instance. In the scratch project, rename the tag(s) and routine and copy paste to the main project. Rename and copy - paste again and again and again…

I’m not proficient enough with Python to export the project to .L5K and make a script to duplicate the routine with generated routine and tag names, but some people are.

word doc

an idea

build the PIDE. Name the tags XXXX_1 for example.
verify the rung

double click on the rung which will give you the rung in TEXT.
copy and paste that to a word doc

copy and paste your rung text. Find /replace text _1 with _2
repeat.

paste the rungs back into the ladder.

>build a couple controllers and indirectly address the loops.

[Rocks back and forth, weeping quietly]

The PIDE instruction is only available in the Function Block Diagram language in Studio 5000, so copying/pasting or Importing numerous instances from a text-format file is a little more complicated than doing so in a Relay Ladder Logic routine. I would go about it by exporting and importing the FBD routines in *.L5X format.

Using your favorite scripting language to increment up the definitions for each tag and instance of the instruction's PIDE-type tag is pretty straightforward.

Figuring out exactly where you want them to appear in the FBD Sheet is more complicated. You might want to make a group of them, then duplicate/import them by Sheet.

Or you could export a FBD Routine, then Import it and re-number the tags that are new each time because they'll be detected as collisions with the existing ones.

I believe there is a ladder version of the PIDE instruction the the PlantPax library.

You can create a ladder AOI that wraps the FB PIDE instruction, and possibly more FB logic depending on your application. Of course, that would require ladder routine(s) to implement the control loops.