What is the best way to monitor long distance Rockwell Software?

gbradley

Lifetime Supporting Member
I have RSLogix 500 standard, And RSLogix 5000 Mini.
I want to be able to work with Micrologix and CompactLogix PLCs.
Both of the software packages have the activation location attached to the Local Computer C: drive
I’ve read that I can’t just Remote Desktop over to the Far Away computer.
Should I use VNC?
With VNC installed, do I need to Rehost the Factory Talk Activation to the Far Away computer?
I know, only three Re-Hosts in 12 months.
Thanks for your advice.

Distance.jpg

If you are programming controllers at the Far Away site, from Local PC, I'd use a VPN to connect to Far Away's network (which I presume exists since you're discussing using RDP/VNC) with Local PC. That said, you can absolutely use Rockwell software via RDP on the Far Away PC, but the activation would have to be hosted there or FactoryTalk Activation Manager would have to be pointed back at your Local PC (requiring another VPN from Far Away to Local, or port-forwarding on your Local router to Local PC after you provide the Far Away activation manager your Local network's *external* IP address).

Since option 2 is of sufficient complexity to warrant a decent amount of work (and cooperation) from Far Away IT Dept, option 1 is what I'd go for.

Last edited:
I am not familiar with Windows 10 very much, as most of my software is not compatible with it. A great "mostly" free utility is TeamViewer which allows VPN connections, even through some corporate firewalls. I have a technote on my computer but you may be able to find it, that allows the remote computer to route a specific IP from the WAN to a private IP LAN (control network) It involves making a registry change on the remote computer to route the traffic between physical connections, and then a command line "route" given at the local PC, to route the IP specific to the PLC. Since the remote PLC I manage never change, I set this up as a batch file to autoexecute. TeamViewer has a built in "Advanced" feature to allow VPN connections, but it has to be installed on both local and remote PCs. I've found that across long distance networking, its much fater to use a VPN, and send/recieve the packets specific to RSLogix, rather than what may be a slow connection and trying to use RDP or VNC.

Last edited:
Since option 2 is of sufficient complexity to warrant a decent amount of work (and cooperation) from Far Away IT Dept, option 1 is what I'd go for.
Yes definitely Option1
The Far Away IT Dept is actually just one guy, but luckily he is now in FarAwayLand.
He told me that he has the VPN setup and working, and that I can RDP to the Far Away computer.
He didn't tell me the name of Far Away computer, so I'll have to wait until tomorrow to actually try to connect.

How is the PLC physically connected to the remote PC? If ethernet, does it reside on the same subnet as the VPN network? I ask, because at my work we keep the "control" network separate from the corporate LAN. We are allowed only one computer within a plant that has connections to both networks, but even if I VPN into the plant, I will not have access to the "control" network, unless I route that IP within that one PC.

You can also use something like an **** or SINEMA to create a tunnel to the remote network.

SINEMA Server

FYI, DHoltman may have meant to use a Sinema Remote Connect server for VPN tunnels. Sinema Server (confusingly a different product from Siemens) is used for local network monitoring and KPIs.

http://http://w3.siemens.com/mcms/industrial-communication/en/industrial-remote-communication/remote-networks/pages/sinema-remote-connect-access-service.aspx