What software do I need for this?

Satpalsinghs

Hi All,
First time on this forum.
Trying to figure out what software is required to communicate with a GE 90-30 IC693CPU331-AA.
Got a copy of Logicmaster 90 TCP and Proficy machine edition but neither able to communicate with the PLC. I am using a IC690USB901 USB to RS485 converter.

Logicmater is running in an XP virtual machine and I can see it trying to communicate with the PLC because I can see the TX led is flashing but it seems the PLC is not replying. Tried various baudrate setting but always the same 'NO COMMUNICATIONS' error.

PME is running under Windows 7 and I keep getting an error 'Cant go online' after 10 RETRY attempts. I have tried various baudrates/databits/stopbits settings as above.

Currently the PLC is up and running and I know the RS485 port on the power supply is working because it is communicating with the LCD panel attached to the port just fine.

Normally I am pretty good at figuring out serial communications errors but I am totally stumped with this one. Any help on figuring things out would be very much appreciated.

Thanks.

CPU331-AA corresponds to firmware version 7.0 which was released in February 1997. You should be able to use either Logicmaster or PME. The help for PME recommends that the USB/serial adapter be assigned to COM1 - COM4. Sometimes Windows puts it at a higher COM port number, so check that.
Is there any way you can check the port parameter settings for the LCD panel that successfully communicates with the PLC? Default settings are 19200 baud, odd parity, 1 stop bit, which is also the default settings for both Logicmaster and PME. It may have been changed to accommodate the HMI panel.

Got online but to no avail.

Manage to get online with Versapro 2.04+sp2 but still no joy with Logicmaster.
Uploaded the program from the PLC but I am unable to download to the PLC as Versapro does not support revision 7.0 (I think) so I am still at square one.

Imported the above Versapro project into PME 7.0 (No errors) but again unable to go online with the above Versapro settings.

In desperation I set up commport sniffer and monitored the commport traffic. I can see that PME is sending out an SNP request and the PLC is responding with an SNP packet of it's own.
Therefore from what I can see this may me settings problem as both parties are talking but PME is not asking the right questions in a pre-subscribed way.

Does anyone have spec for the SNP protocol? Is there something different with older 90-30 and newer PLC's.

Once again, any help would be appreciated.

Versapro does not support revision 7.0
That's true, but you can bypass the limitation. In the VersaPro "Tools" menu item, select "Options", then the "Communications" tab. The radio button labeled "Prevent store to incompatible firmware revision" is checked by default. Select either of the other options and you will be able to download to the old CPU.
In PME the same thing is located under the "Options" tab in the navigator window under "Controller"/"General" properties. The first option is "Controller firmware revision" which defaults to "Prevent store". You can select either "No warning" or "Warn" to permit downloading to older firmware.