What switches are you using for CIP Motion?

jonfarrugia

We just finished commissioning 4 kinextix 350 servo drives, L30ERM controller. We were using a Stratix 2000 for the switch but we started by having so many odd issues that Tech support couldn't explain. For example, while drives were running, some would go into program mode. The only way out of program mode was to reset the drive. Other times the drive would stop responding without causing a fault, the servo would be dead but the status tag in the PLC would say it was active, yet the actual position, velocity tags...wouldn't change even if it was manually rotated.
After many, many hours on the phone with Tech support, they suggested we use the Stratix 8000 switch. After going with the Stratix 8000, we never had another issue!
The only thing I can find that might have caused this issue is that the Stratix 2000 switch does not support PTP, precision time protocol, which is important for cip motion networks. (Only found this info after alot searching!)
Since PTP is relatively new and only a few higher end switches support this protocol, Wouldn't it make sense for Allen Bradley to state in their manuals that a PTPV2 enabled switch is required?

I would be interested to know what switches you guys use for industrial applications like cip motion.

Last edited:
What switch is a 1783-US05T? I didn't pick out the hardware, but this was a CompactLogix motion with three Kinetix drives. I didn't experience any of the issues that you had.

Just looked it up: Stratix 2000 Switch, Unmanaged, 5 Copper Ports

Last edited:
I recently did some work with (2)2097-V33PR5-LM and (1)2097-V33PR3-LM talking to a 1756-L73 via 1756-EN2T. We were using a Phoenix Contact lean managed switch here. I didn't experience any issues for what it's worth...