What would you like to see in the "next generation" of PLC controllers / software?

I would be happy to see documentation & instruction manuals that make sense.

Me too... I remember back in school, when they told us that there is great need for technical writers.... (Theres no money in it, but there is a need). I'm tired of pictures that show you how to hook up a few examples or software wizards, that are great if you want to use the equipment in the few instances they show you, but are practically worthless if you want to do anything else. Last year I had to upgrade a Sew Eurodrive. After talking to tech support, it sounded like it wouldn't be a big deal to switch to the next model, so I opted for the newest Eurodrive model, rather than figuring out how to hook up a different brand. When the other drive needs replaced, I already told them it will be a Yaskawa.

-MUR

A TIME MACHINE....

That way I could go back in time and not change that bit that just crashed the machine :)

Danw - Is that a BC-348 I see in your picture? If so, that brings back memories!
Yup.

But my army training (in 1972) was on an R390 or R390A (can't recall which), but I never used one beyond training.

r-390_3b.jpg

More flexible and powerful sequencer functions
For s7xx – multitasking
S7s already have a good way to make state machines by using the JL instruction. If you have multiple statemachines in you PLC program then you effectively have a multitasking system. If you want you can think of each rung as a task and all of them are being run in turn.

I would be happy if the Rockwell stuff packaged an all in one setup similar to the GE Proficy. Hey I'd be happy with a RSLogix - without the 5, 500,5000,500000000 etc. It programs them all.

Rockwell consulting with the Wonderware guys...

Also, since we have spent so much time on AB communication complexity, how about a communicate button. Just click it and majically connect to the best possible link.

Oh and here's an easy one. When you have an offline file open in RSLogix how about asking if that is the file you want to use when going online and the project is different. (the anti-Browse)

Maybe a bluetooth comm with a smartphone app. No laptop necessary just pull out the blackberry or iphone and check out that valve that wont open...

Russell

I'd like PLC programming software to allow you to save a program as an earlier version. Most software won't let you open a project file with an earlier version of the software than was used to save it (Version 5 can't open a version 6 file).

I'm an integrator and I have clients that don't always purchase maintenance agreements on their software to keep themselves at the latest levels. If I modify a program for them with a newer version than they're using, I make it impossible for them to access it. If the software would let me run version 6 but save as version 5 (so long as I don't utilize any of the new features introduced at level 6), it would make things less frustrating.

While I may be looking too deep into the crystal ball, wireless whether it be 802.11 or even 433MHz type embedded in PLC's may push the senor manufactures in that direction, just having feedback on a senor or devices status would help greatly in detecting, finding and maybe even allow us to be one step ahead of system faults.

Tommy

I wish Rockwell would encapsulate HMI+PLC+Networks just like Siemens.

Siemens, I don't have a good opinion as I am an AB groupie, I do find Siemens over complicates what should be simple, cross reference is the one I seem to notice.

Everything going to ENET only would be really sweet. I don't miss the days of carrying around a PIC or forgetting the micrologix cable (without a doubt biggest sham cable wise I have ever seen)

Processor that can read and write directly to databases.
Optimized/Condensed software.
Software compatibility with latest Microsoft releases.
Backwards compatibility for FT view/RS view. Come on AB, no one reflashes the PV Pluses.

Last edited: