When do you have to add the HMI panel to a SIMATIC Manager project

tim2

When must you add an HMI panel in the hardware configuration for a STEP 7 project using the SIMATIC Manager?

I have had several projects using SIMATIC Manager and integrated WinCC and never have had to add an HMI panel to the hardware configuration in the PLC project.

We now have to use S7-300 PLC with SIMATIC manager and TP1200 using TIA Portal and Device proxy.
Same question, would there be any reason or any requirement to have to add the HMI panel to the hardware configuration in the STEP 7 project.

I guess I know you can add an HMI, I just don't know what that buys you.

Think I found my answer. Just thought I'd post it in case anyone else needs it. :

the integration of a Panel in HWConfig is only needed if you use the keys of a panel in the I/O Memory space of the PLC.