Where are the tags Logix5000

If you are familiar with PLC5s and SLC500s, then you should think of the ControlLogix tag names as what you have always known as "symbols" in the older PLC systems. They are alias names for actual memory locations in the PLC's RAM. The I/O image table does have physical addresses associated with it. The address format is, for example: (Local:1:I.Data.0 - Local:1:I.Data.15) which would represent an input module in Rack 0 (Local), Slot 1, Points 0 - 15. Remote I/O Chassis will have a different name from the "Local" chassis.

When you create timers, integers, bits or other internal memory tags, then the actual memory location is transparent to the programmer.

The remapping is exactly what you need to be looking for. This is how people created aliases in the past. We did it through code. The routines simply map real inputs to logic inputs and logic outputs to real outputs. you are on the right track.

OG

RSL5K "Available Tags/Tags Usage" uses the "Crossreference Tool" (Right-Click Menu) deployed onto the Tag Database Module intended to be used.
For any particular tag (Either Base or Alias)the "Crossreference"Tool will find any occurences of the element within the given project.
One thing to observe is the Tag Crossreference/Search Scope settings applet which could "filter" the tag's domains and tag's type when being searched for(Program Tags, Controller tags, Base Tags, Alia Tags, etc.)

Yep, could be, but without seeing if those routines contain any code, just guessing....

Looks like this is it. Three questions... Whats the advantages when it comes to troubleshooting I/O's and making edits in this form, as opposed to just looking at the Base tags and Aliases labels as how there were labeled in the SLC 500 before the conversion? Also, adding or finding what I/O's are not being used, if I don't see, for example; OTE(Local:5:O.Data.9) in the output logic, does it mean that OTE(Local:5:O.Data.9) is not being used?

RO1inputsline4a.jpg RO2outputsline4a.jpg

How can I get my whole screenshot to show in the post. I take a screenshot, save it as a jpeg in Windows bitmap, increase it to 200 in the horizontal and vertical stretch option. What is the best way to send good screenshot pictures to here.

How can I get my whole screenshot to show in the post.
What I was saying is that when I post it here it only show a portion of the picture, maybe about 90% of it and the rest of it is chopped off, once I load it to here, unless I leave it regular size, but then its too small to view.

You need to run your picture file through a picture editor to change the Width x Height pixel size of the picture to match the allowed site size. I think that the allowed pixel W x H size is different depending on your type of membership (800 x 600 for a Lifetime Member).

Last edited:
You need to run your picture file through a picture editor to change the Width x Height pixel size of the picture to match the allowed site size. I think that the allowed pixel W x H size is different depending on your type of membership (800 x 600 for a Lifetime Member).
Got it! Thx.

In ControlLogix unlike SLCs, PLC5,4,3,2,1, pre-difined tags don't exist. You need to create the tags as you need them. sure, some people create an array of timers, that sort of resemble the old registers of the older processors, but why?

sure, some people create an array of timers, that sort of resemble the old registers of the older processors, but why?

That is what I was use to seeing all of this time, Aliases and Base tags everywhere, were the Programmer has what I learn a conversion program from the SLC500. Now the this other Engineer calls that way pure Horse****. The next Engineer has come through and he is saying the same thing; use timers, counters, I/O as I would need them. So I'm catching on, he showed me the whole remapping rungs as Operaghost, Rootboy, daba and others have been trying to show me. He explained some scenarios like, if an output or input goes bad that we wouldn't have to take the PLC off line to change it to another point, also how changing one spot in remapping will be good enough for the whole project.Thanks guys!

So now I'm catching on. Found what I was looking for, what I was asking for all along!

addingOutputsMapping.jpg

Last edited:
All of the above confusion is the primary reason that I despise the PLC/SLC to Logix conversion programs. You always seem to end up with multiple layers of pointless indirection.

If you are going to move a program from a PLC or SLC platform to Logix, just rewrite the entire thing, taking advantage of the features built into Logix.

Use descriptive tags, and your program ends up being mostly self-documenting. Trying to "Keep Things The Same" for the "Benefit of Maintenance Personnel" is just plain stupid. If Bubba can't handle the change, send Bubba back to school. If he still can't handle it, then Bubba doesn't need to be working on the system.

That is what I was use to seeing all of this time, Aliases and Base tags everywhere, were the Programmer has what I learn a conversion program from the SLC500. Now the this other Engineer calls that way pure Horse****.

Can be. Poorly done and he is absolutely correct. :)

I once got on a Director's backside (and hence, badside) when I told him to start thinking PLC, not PLC++.

He was none too pleased with me. :)

So now I'm catching on. Found what I was looking for, what I was asking for all along!

There are a lot of handy things that you can do in RSLogix, think about spreading your program out by breaking it up into several different programs and routines (See screenshot).

Explore UDTs to see how you can map your I/O and other data into structures.

Have fun!

zzzz.png

The methods you are able to use in Logix5000 are a long bus-ride away from what was possible in PLC5 and SLC programs, and are generally accepted as being "better".

Starting afresh on a 5000 project, a programmer will develop UDTs, AOIs, Tag naming conventions, etc., that fit the project better than any PLC5 or SLC program could.

I've seen most things, and when i get involved in a project that has been "up-converted" from a 5 or 500 project, you invariably get stuck with "old technology", which mostly makes the water muddy, and many people don't see the advantages.

There are many posts on here where people have struggled with Logix5000 functionality. Very often it is because a 10-20 year old program from an older platform is "morphed" into a more modern processor. Sometimes it is because the poster just doesn't understand the structure and capabilities of the more modern processor.

Whichever... Conversions will be around for a while to come, and we will just have to get used to the "kludges", aliasing, double aliasing, inefficient code, wasted memory, and all manner of things that "conversions" bring to the table.