Where can you find Refurbished Window's XP Laptops ?

The more I look at our plant and our machinery , and since we have some older PanelView Plus HMI's that the applications are 32 bit , do you know of any good refurbished Window's XP Laptops for sale , from trusted vendors ?

Thanks,

you can find tons of them on ebay. also, most people use virtual machines for this, which may be a better option.

I know. I tried to download RS Logix 5000 ver. 16 on the virtual Window's XP mode and could not get a good internet connection. Some compatibility issues.
Our technicians would struggle with a virtual option.

I know. I tried to download RS Logix 5000 ver. 16 on the virtual Window's XP mode and could not get a good internet connection. Some compatibility issues.
Our technicians would struggle with a virtual option.
The terminology you use it's a little cryptic for me. Usually you can download the full installer in any computer, burn a disc and use it in other computer (and keep it if you need to do a re-installation in the future).

Don't use Rockwell downloader. Use a direct download or a third party downloader.

https://download.rockwellautomation.com/esd/faq.aspx

7. What is the difference between Managed Download and Direct Download?
Direct download allows you to download one or more files without needing to install or use RA's download manager. Files will be downloaded into your browser' default download folder. Managed download is the preferred method because it is secure, verifies file integrity, and will handle a wide range of communication problems. Managed download will place the files into a predictable folder structure.
However, managed download is slow and never works properly (at least in my experience). I always choose direct download and let my favourite downloader do the job. That way I can resume any download.

I buy refurbished Dell Latitudes from TigerDirect and Overstock.com.

D620 and D820 and E6410 and E6420 are my preferred models. Maybe $200 for a solid old XP box.

Rather than using XP mode, just get yourself set up with a proper virtual machine setup. I use VMWare Fusion (which is for mac) and a lot of people here use VMWare Workstation (which is the PC equivalent) with very good results. There are a ton of good reasons and benefits to this, and once you have it set up, most people can navigate it pretty easily after a few hours tinkering.

The last place I worked had to set it up to support old Modicon PLC's. We had a shift crew comprising of a wide variety of different people, from a Gen Y tech yuppie (me) to an old Scotsman in his late 60's who was very good with his hands, unless they were on a keyboard, in which case he had very little patience. But every one of us picked it up and rolled with it in no time. The key is getting it set up, tested, and working well before you throw it over to your techs, so they don't start with a bad taste in their mouth.

Ken ,

I looked on TigerDirect's website. They seem like they are made to order.
Is that correct ? They seem like they were out of stock. I was speaking with Laptop Outlet , also in California . He builds them to order also.

Thanks so much for all your advice.

I buy refurbished Dell Latitudes from TigerDirect and Overstock.com.

D620 and D820 and E6410 and E6420 are my preferred models. Maybe $200 for a solid old XP box.

I never tried Tiger Direct. Never knew they sold complete machines - thanks! I've only purchased parts from them. I purchased my current machine from Newegg.com. Watched for awhile for the setup I was looking for and found one at a very reasonable price. Of course I found one for less AFTER I bought mine with a couple upgrades.... I have come to like Newegg a lot over the years. Walmart.com is also a good one for PC's and PC parts. You'd be surprised what they offer online. It's almost as if they are trying to rival sites like Newegg and Tiger Direct. Worth looking! Found my backlit keyboard for $20 shipped there. Cheapest around at the time...

EDIT: https://www.walmart.com/ip/Dell-Ref...ard-Drive-and-Windows-7-Professional/37403500 Just to show they carry your E6420, Ken.

Last edited: