Siemens S7/TIA v16: HMI "Default Gateway" where can I find it?......

Mas01

I've got a SIMATIC HMI KTP1200 and hooking it up to PLC (s7-1200) for first time.
On the HMI setup screen, it's asking me to enter:
  • IP address
  • Subnet mask
  • Default gateway
I've got the first two from the HMI properties - see pic - but I don't know where to find the third one.
Anyone know where I can find it?
Thanks

default gateway question.jpg IMG_20230626_162009.jpg

I've got a SIMATIC HMI KTP1200 and hooking it up to PLC (s7-1200) for first time.
On the HMI setup screen, it's asking me to enter:
  • IP address
  • Subnet mask
  • Default gateway
I've got the first two from the HMI properties - see pic - but I don't know where to find the third one.
Anyone know where I can find it?
Thanks

"Default gateway" is code for "what is the address of your router"

You probably don't have one, and you can leave that blank. IP address and subnet mask are required, gateway is optional.

Normally, things like HMI's, PLC's and most electronic equipment has a default IP address of 192.168.0.1 (most common)
If it is going on some sort of network that could be accessed via the site intranet then speak to your IT dept. they will give you a range to use, even if not, I suggest you create a range not on the 192.168.x.x. range keep a spreadsheet or something with the addresses on so you know what is what. an example could be 10.201.1.xx (xx is 1 to 254) Even if IT have some other area they can still give you access but isolate it from their system.
The Sub Net could be 255.255.0.0 this drills it down a little further.
I used to have a little batch file on my work PC so that I could change from the corporate IT range to the Engineering controls systems, it meant that all PLC's, HMI's etc. were on that network could be accessed from my office.
Not at the moment in your case I suspect but if you do end up getting a larger networked system then it makes sense. Where I last worked I had about 150 networked systems for PLC's HMI's, Power Monitors & Scada systems so it is important to keep some documentation & ensure there are no conficts. the default gateway for direct connection is not required just leave it blank

Cheers for this parky.
Although there's no plan to integrate this PLC onto the company network, I've been keeping record of the IP addresses, sub masks (or whatever they're called) MACs, of the PLC and HMI.
Yes, the IP of the PLC is 192.168.0.1 by default on mine.

Yep that's quite standard, if you use your PC/Laptop on the corporate network then you will probably have to change it's address temporarily, IT do not like you using a range for the PC's on their lan, I would talk to them there are some options.
Change it as a temp measure if you have access, get a second lan card.
I would certainly chat to IT as they may set up your pc so it can talk to your controls equipment they very often do not like it though.
The last place I worked was a right pain, the supplied laptop had the USB nobbled, no access level to change the Ethernet card & so on, however, did manage to get them to set the Ethernet card to the PLC address range & used wifi for corporate use.
The previous company I managed to build up a good relationship with them so was given admin rights I was trusted to not muddle with other IT systems, had remote access from anywhere in the world to the systems but it was a lot of hard work getting them on my side.