Siemens S7/TIA v16: Why can't I update this datablock?...

In the UK it is often refered to a dogs dinner or car crash, there are many more but could not post them here as they would be offensive like a $h!$ show etc.

Most applications have their idiosyncrasies, just like for example Mitsubishi their manuals are very difficult to understand because of the translation of the language, siemens is traditionally german, unfortunately technical german is sort of another dialect, I worked with a number of German engineers, sometimes they makeup words & cannot be understood by non engineers.
also Germany has many dialects probably more than many other countries.
My father was a prisoner of war in WW2 He escaped a couple of times but was caught, he managed to stay free for what could be considered a considerable time even though his German was limited (learnt while in camp) due to the many dialects it was considered good enough not to be caught sooner.
So while most engineers have their favourite platforms in most cases it is what they get used to, however, some are generally quite bad, I certainly would not put Siemens, RW or mitsubishi in that catagory though.

You aren't an idiot, Portal is just SUPER DUPER specific about what has to be selected to allow you to do things....
Thanks for the vote of confidence...certainly making a lot more progress today compared to yesterday. That just seems to be the way with life in general... some days good, some days , well, not so good.

Most applications have their idiosyncrasies, just like for example Mitsubishi their manuals are very difficult to understand because of the translation of the language, siemens is traditionally german, unfortunately technical german is sort of another dialect, I worked with a number of German engineers, sometimes they makeup words & cannot be understood by non engineers.
also Germany has many dialects probably more than many other countries.
My father was a prisoner of war in WW2 He escaped a couple of times but was caught, he managed to stay free for what could be considered a considerable time even though his German was limited (learnt while in camp) due to the many dialects it was considered good enough not to be caught sooner.
So while most engineers have their favourite platforms in most cases it is what they get used to, however, some are generally quite bad, I certainly would not put Siemens, RW or mitsubishi in that catagory though.
Interesting story that, about your father.
Certainly agree that the Siemens documentation is far more comprehensive and understandable compared to Mitsubishi (GX Developer at least).

Yep Siemens RW etc. are better documentation.
My farther rarely talked about his stint in WW2, did find out from my mum & his best friend a number of things, he was a regular before war broke out, married my mum two weeks before the start, she did not see him again for 6 years, apparently captured at Dunkirk, escaped, sent to North Africa, captured again, escaped, ended up giving themselves up as no food or water, sent to Italy as a POW, escaped again, lived in the mountains for about 6 months, got shot in the lower back when visiting a village where they regulary got food from one lady & small daughter, a German surgeon saved his life, then sent to Germany where he escaped again twice, eventually got liberated he was emaciated but had to make their own way back to the coast to return to England, that episode made him decide to leave the forces.
I saw a program on TV where they interviewed a woman in Italy who was a small child during the war & she mentioned how some British troups would come down into the village for food as my father had passed on before that program, I often wondered if he was one of them she talked about.

Yep Siemens RW etc. are better documentation.
My farther rarely talked about his stint in WW2, did find out from my mum & his best friend a number of things, he was a regular before war broke out, married my mum two weeks before the start, she did not see him again for 6 years, apparently captured at Dunkirk, escaped, sent to North Africa, captured again, escaped, ended up giving themselves up as no food or water, sent to Italy as a POW, escaped again, lived in the mountains for about 6 months, got shot in the lower back when visiting a village where they regulary got food from one lady & small daughter, a German surgeon saved his life, then sent to Germany where he escaped again twice, eventually got liberated he was emaciated but had to make their own way back to the coast to return to England, that episode made him decide to leave the forces.
I saw a program on TV where they interviewed a woman in Italy who was a small child during the war & she mentioned how some British troups would come down into the village for food as my father had passed on before that program, I often wondered if he was one of them she talked about.

That's an incredible account, the sort of thing they could make a film about. Certainly makes you put your own problems into perspective. It would be great if your father was one of those soldiers that the woman was referring to. Thanks for sharing.

Thanks for sharing this... it's amazing what that generation went through and how they bounced back.

Also worth pointing out that it wasn't easy for your mom... sure, she wasn't fighting in a war, but 6 years apart is just a ridiculous amount of time to be waiting in limbo.

Yep, wished I knew more, I do know my mum recieved two telegrams "Missing in action presumed dead or captured" (not the sort of thing you would probably get now I think they would probably re-word it now), she traced him twice through the red cross. My father always had a saying the only heroes were dead ones, he only really talked about the more amusing stories like how they would cause havoc during roll call like one man sneaking from one end of the line to the other so the count would not tally. or when doing work (a sort of forced labour) move earth or stones from an excavation to a pile then back again. He never had a bad word to say about the average German soldier always maintained there was a mutual respect.