Siemens S7/TIA v16: WinCC: How do I draw customised shapes?...

Mas01

I want to draw a shape on a screen page in TIA/WinCC. It's roughly the shape of a canal boat hull -see picture.

I couldn't find any "free-form" shape drawing tool...the best I could do was a rectangle + 2 triangles made of straight lines, and they are not the correct shade either, as I can only select the fill-colour of the rectangle. Obviously, I cannot fill the lines, as they're just lines.

Where can I find the "free-form" shape tool, or will I need to create one externally and import it?
Thanks

Canal boat shape.png

Last edited:
I'm not seeing in any of the recent threads which HMI you're using. "WinCC" is pretty much just the Siemens brand name for HMIs. There are several, depending on whether you want an embedded machine panel or a PC based system or a SCADA class server client whatever. I'm assuming you're using the Basic panel, since A) it's a 1200 system and the basic panel is a common low cost match B) you're having this problem.

All the more other (read: more expensive) options have a "polyline" object available, that lets you draw whatever with lines between each point you make, and then it fills between them.

In the Basic system, yeah, I think your best bet is to draw it externally and then import it, if you have your heart set on that specific shape.

I'm not seeing in any of the recent threads which HMI you're using. "WinCC" is pretty much just the Siemens brand name for HMIs. There are several, depending on whether you want an embedded machine panel or a PC based system or a SCADA class server client whatever. I'm assuming you're using the Basic panel, since A) it's a 1200 system and the basic panel is a common low cost match B) you're having this problem.

All the more other (read: more expensive) options have a "polyline" object available, that lets you draw whatever with lines between each point you make, and then it fills between them.

In the Basic system, yeah, I think your best bet is to draw it externally and then import it, if you have your heart set on that specific shape.
The HMI is a KTP1200.
That shape is needed per the requirement spec (it represents the profile of a machined component) so I guess I'll have to be creative..

Screenshot_20230706_202536.jpg

Last edited:
You could always draw in ms paint (other graphic tools available) and import as graphic.

If you want dynamic coloring etc... just draw multiple pics, each different, and assign the graphic to a graphic list, and toggle through a variable.

You could always draw in ms paint (other graphic tools available) and import as graphic.

If you want dynamic coloring etc... just draw multiple pics, each different, and assign the graphic to a graphic list, and toggle through a variable.

Thanks, I think someone may have a CAD file for the component, and I could base my ms-paint on that to get the proportions accurate. Thanks.

Thanks, I think someone may have a CAD file for the component, and I could base my ms-paint on that to get the proportions accurate. Thanks.

On some machines I will sometimes use a stripped down version of the CAD drawing, make it easily presentable for an overview screen.

More so now I use the 3D solidworks drawing in the same way.

Makes it very easy for an operator to understand where sensors etc are located on the machine for troubleshooting.