Where to buy rockwell?

kevilay

Hey guys,

We are struggling with lead times on lots of our AB stuff (compact Logix mostly). Have you guys found any websites online that you have been able to find stuff? 1769-iq16, 1769-IF16C? Working with our distributor has been difficult as AB is not giving them accurate times. Over and over an item is 1 week away, then when it doesn't show up they just tack 3 months onto the delivery.

Anyone having any luck in these difficult times?

Most of the third party sources for Rockwell stuff have already dried up. I know that Radwell had some stuff about a year ago but now they basically have nothing.

Also, Rockwell vigorously defends distributor boundries and doesn't encourage distributors to share inventory. So a distributor just outside your area may have what you need on the shelf (unlikely, though) and you have no access to it.

Keith

Rockwell are having serious issues with many components.

Weeks and months for many items.

I ordered a Powerflex drive and cards in November.
Got the drive eventually end of January, but still waiting for an I/O card.
Rockwell have loaned me a card from a test rig in Milton Keynes to get me started, but it might be September before I get the ordered one.

CLX processors are due in October, and that is with a Rockwell project, not our authorised distributor.

Most of the third party sources for Rockwell stuff have already dried up. I know that Radwell had some stuff about a year ago but now they basically have nothing.

Also, Rockwell vigorously defends distributor boundries and doesn't encourage distributors to share inventory. So a distributor just outside your area may have what you need on the shelf (unlikely, though) and you have no access to it.

Keith
Ditto.

I have gotten distributors outside my territory to talk to me only because I have panels going to customers in their area. However, as you say , in these times, I suspect all distributors are short.

But be of good faith. I just got an email from Rockwell this week and they provided a link titled, "Download Supply Chain Planning for Dummies". They can put the answers in a 50 page essay but they can't actually master it themselves. rofl.

We're just going to have to break the AB habit and those that can make that transition will have a competitive advantage, imo. AB PLC's have been my 1st preference for 30 years. The price increases alone over the last few years are reason to look around and now that they can't compete on delivery is another strike against them. Time to lose the blinders and move on to something else. I'm not going to get driven out of business by Rockwell lead times.

P.S. I have 5380 PLC and modules I ordered in March, for an August delivery. This post prompted me to ask my LD about it and they have pushed the delivery to Oct. on some of it. I could see Oct. slipping as well.

I just quoted a small system for July 15 delivery. I would have used a MIcro850 on this but it has Aug/Sept lead time. Thats a no go, so it will be my very first Automation Direct Click project. I've also considered Mitsubishi but AD just makes ordering and support so easy....

Last edited:
You won't like my answer but.....

Switch to Codesys based PLCs then you wouldn't have this issue...

If you can't get one brand for a project, just find a different brand. then just migrate the program over and remap the IO. (y)

If you can't get one brand for a project, just find a different brand. then just migrate the program over and remap the IO. (y)

This is usually not an option. Customers don't want some off-brand PLC in their plant when everything else is Allen Bradley or Siemens.

Codesys is pants, and good luck migrating complex motion control over to a Codesys PLC :confused:o_O

Originally posted by johnd_125:

We're just going to have to break the AB habit...

Originally posted by theColonel26:

My suggestion if you go this way is be first and act aggressively. The reason the "less used" brands have items available is that no one has been buying them yet. Design time isn't free when you have an established design. But if there is a mass pivot away from Rockwell/Siemens/Omron/etc to the "less used" brands that market will dry up as well. But, you say, "my manufacturer" is fully vertically integrated. I'm immune. Right, until "your manufacturer" is swamped with a 400% increase in orders compared to last year. Not a hard thing for a lower volume supplier suddenly getting a bigger share of the global plc market.

Originally posted by johnd_125:

I have 5380 PLC and modules I ordered in March, for an August delivery. This post prompted me to ask my LD about it and they have pushed the delivery to Oct. on some of it.

That is nothing compared to Siemens. They have got to be the greatest promulgators of false faith in history. I was recently quoted an S7-1515F for delivery in August if ordered in May. So I ordered it in May. Delivery was acknowledged by Siemens AFTER ORDER PLACEMENT in May...of 2023. While they may not have been able to give me a completely accurate delivery date prior to order, being off by NINE MONTHS, or better yet 300%, is a bit excessive. This is true of many of their automation and drive components.

Keith

A lot of customers spec AB (or Siemens)

For supply I check eBay if the customer will allow used parts, and even find some new stuff on eBay. There is also the grey area of distributors (China, Taiwan & Korea) that find components worldwide any way they can and put them in new boxes.

As for another distributor having what the local one doesn't, call your distributor and tell them the other one has what you need. Distributors frequently transfer/sell amongst themselves.

Thanks for all the feedback. As the others mentioned changing brands of PLC is not an option due to our customer. The issue we have been running into is the dates constantly change. We design a whole project, release it for purchasing, get order confirmation on everything, then randomly it changes. The plc card was supposed to arrive 2 weeks ago. So when we follow up they bump it to September. Now we are too far along to consider other options. I really believe this is Rockwell's plan. We use alot of siemens and omron as well. Everyone is struggling hard. We have been using Maple Systems HMIs on the last couple projects.

Thanks for all the feedback. As the others mentioned changing brands of PLC is not an option due to our customer. The issue we have been running into is the dates constantly change. We design a whole project, release it for purchasing, get order confirmation on everything, then randomly it changes. The plc card was supposed to arrive 2 weeks ago. So when we follow up they bump it to September. Now we are too far along to consider other options. I really believe this is Rockwell's plan. We use alot of siemens and omron as well. Everyone is struggling hard. We have been using Maple Systems HMIs on the last couple projects.

The only thing I can tell you is that is is happening to everyone else also. Unfortunately, I think it will be the new way of doing business for the next few years.

It isn't just automation, either. I like to do hobby electronics and there are parts I can't get until next summer. I sometimes look at other PCB projects online and consider buying a whole board just so I can steal parts off it. I have to imagine most companies are buying up any chips they can get their hands on.

I think it will be the new way of doing business for the next few years.

It isn't just automation, either.

I have heard that Rockwell is having many issue with its suppliers, and the suppliers are having issues with their suppliers and so on. This is likely to be the case for awhile...
I have also tried recently to get some C60 contactors from our distributor and was told they may be here in 6 months.. ebay does have alot of allen bradley items, but buyer beware.