Which CompactLogix controllers will support a 1768-ENBT?

Eric Nelson

Lifetime Supporting Member + Moderator
I'm at the preliminary stage of my first CompactLogix project (customer spec). The customer requires 2 Ethernet ports. One for my local network (HMI, etc.), and a second one to connect to their SCADA system.

This project has a very low I/O count (and all discrete), so I could easily get by with just the L23E's on-board I/O.

If I get a L23E (or L3xE) with the built-in Ethernet port, can I add a ENBT to get a second port? If I must use a L4x processor, can I install 2 ENBTs on it?

🍻

-Eric

Only the 1768-L43 and 1768-L45 support the 1768-ENBT module. Either controller can support two of them.

I have also seen this specification circumvented by the addition of a 1761-NET-ENI to any of the 1769-L3x or -L2x controllers. This usually comes back to bite the vendor when somebody pulls a performance specification out of the depths of the contract.

The way I would strongly prefer to handle these instances is by telling the customer they are getting a configurable IP address for the external network, then put in a small router (Mikrotik RouterBox or a Soekris 4501 or something similar) that forwards all TCP ports from the WAN side to the CompactLogix.

I mentioned the use of a router to separate the networks, but this customer was pretty insistent on individual ports. Thankfully, they are the ones that specified AB, so they will have to deal with the added cost.

Thanks for your help, Ken!... (y)

🍻

-Eric

I finally got around to building this system, and an currently fighting with the ENBT modules. When I add the module in Logix5000, the Major Revision text box is grayed out, and set to "1". Only the Minor Revision is editable. My modules are Revision 2.003. When I download the program with it set at 1.x and check the module properties, it shows 'unconfigured', with a Module Identity: Mismatch.

I am using Logix5000 v16.0 and RSLinx Classic v2.54. I flashed the firmware in the L43 processor to v16.24.

For what it's worth, I am able to set the IP address of the modules using the BOOTP-DHCP Server utility, but it reverts back to BOOTP enabled after a power cycle... :(

Now what?... :unsure:

🍻

-Eric

Eric Nelson said:
I finally got around to building this system, and an currently fighting with the ENBT modules. When I add the module in Logix5000, the Major Revision text box is grayed out, and set to "1". Only the Minor Revision is editable. My modules are Revision 2.003. When I download the program with it set at 1.x and check the module properties, it shows 'unconfigured', with a Module Identity: Mismatch.

Not sure on this one, back to the knowledgebase again...
EDIT: there's a techconnect answerID that suggests downloading the latest EDS file:
Answer ID 45111

Eric Nelson said:
I am able to set the IP address of the modules using the BOOTP-DHCP Server utility, but it reverts back to BOOTP enabled after a power cycle... :(

After setting the IP address, did you untick the checkbox called BootP Enabled?

Last edited:
OK, a quick look at the Control Flash page at AB shows that I need to downgrade the firmware in the ENBT to 1.003 to work with Logix5000 v16 (no Allen Bradley, I will NOT upgrade my software A-G-A-I-N).

I downloaded the firmware, but am not sure how to flash the ENBT. Any tips?

🍻

-Eric

The enbt has a web page embedded in it. Just type in the enbt ip address in your browser. On the webpage there should be a link to upgrade firmware then you have to direct it to the file location on your laptop.

After setting the IP address, did you untick the checkbox called BootP Enabled?
Yup, that did the trick!... (y)

I thought I got all the eds files that I needed... I'll check again. Why do they make life so difficult???? :rolleyes:

I'd still like to know the procedure to downgrade the firmware (as a backup plan when the eds files fail to solve it). EDIT: Just saw your reply, Kid. Thanks!

🍻

-Eric

The enbt has a web page embedded in it. Just type in the enbt ip address in your browser. On the webpage there should be a link to upgrade firmware then you have to direct it to the file location on your laptop.
I dug through all the pages on the ENBT's webpage, but I don't see any link... :(

Maybe use the same Control Flash utility that I used to upgrade the CPU?... :confused:

🍻

-Eric

OK, I can connect to the ENBT's webpage with my browser, yet RSLInx doesn't see the ENBT at all (not even as an 'unrecognized device'). I have a PV600 on the same network, and it DOES show up in RSLogix.

I have my laptop assigned a fixed IP of 192.168.1.10
The ENBT is set to 192.168.1.2, and the PV is at 192.168.1.4

🍻

-Eric

By the way, there is no internet access where I am. I'm tethered via my cell phone, which ain't very fast, so it sucks to download all these files from AB... :confused:

Eric Nelson said:
I thought I got all the eds files that I needed... I'll check again. Why do they make life so difficult???? :rolleyes:

Actually, although there's more stuff you have to deal with as far as firmware updates and EDS files, they are making it easier. A lot of new devices when used with a new enough version of RSLinx allow you to upload the EDS file from the device itself. I recommend you try that. In RSLinx, right click the module and look for the "Upload EDS File" option.

Eric Nelson said:
...Maybe use the same Control Flash utility that I used to upgrade the CPU?...

Yes, just make sure your IP is static and BootP is turned off and it stays through a power cycle before you start. I bricked a Compactlogix CPU by forgetting to turn of BootP. This may not apply to your card, but I have never used that module. I also recommend using a crossover cable and a desktop PC if possible. The crossover cable eliminates network traffic from interfering.

If you use a laptop, make sure the power options are set up so the network port doesn't get its power yanked if it thinks the thing has been idle too long.

The ControlFlash utility is pretty good at letting you know if you try to put firmware in the wrong device and will warn you about the exact differences before it starts. I have only used it a handful of times and it has always worked well.

I used the Control Flash utility this past Saturday to upgrade the firmware in the CPU. It shipped with version 1 installed. Since I wasn't able to get the ENBTs configured, I had to flash it over serial. It took over 40 MINUTES, but thankfully it completed successfully... :oops:

If I can just get these ENBTs (or at least ONE of them!) configured, I can continue this project. From the ENBT's webpage, I can browse the backplane and see the L43 processor. Too bad the processor can't see the ENBTs... :rolleyes:

I'm sure it makes sense when you deal with AB stuff on a daily basis. I only do an AB project once in a blue moon, so it's really frustrating to have to relearn this stuff every time... o_O

Thankfully, there's :site: to bail me out!

🍻

-Eric

ControlFlash is the tool you use to load firmware into all Logix-family modules.

If a module ships with newer firmware than you are running, the general procedure is to define it as the highest version selectable, then disable Electronic Keying. This has always worked for me except in Redundancy systems where the firmware has to be exact.

When you use the BOOTP/DHCP Utility, make sure that you configure it with Network Settings that include a subnet mask and default gateway that are compatible with your network. If the default gateway address is not on the same IP subnet as the IP address, the module will not communicate properly with RSLinx or other controllers.

You don't need to "see" the module in RSLinx under the EtherNet/IP driver to configure it; as long as you have the CompactLogix controller and virtual backplane EDS files installed, you can browse through the CompactLogix controller, through the backplane, to the 1768-ENBT module. Right-clicking on the module in RSLinx Classic will let you launch the configuration applet.

Regarding The PLC Kid's comment:

On the webpage there should be a link to upgrade firmware then you have to direct it to the file location on your laptop.

I have never seen this with a Logix family device. I've seen it with routers and firewalls and other appliances that use TFTP or HTTP to load firmware binaries, but never with Logix. The firmware files for Logix are tucked away into coded directories and guarded by the ControlFlash compatibility checker.

I'm certainly willing to see something new, but I don't think that feature or procedure is present in any Allen-Bradley controller.

Thanks, Ken. I tried disabling electronic keying, but no luck. I even tried cranked the minor revision up to a value of 240.

When I browse the processor in RSLinx (through the serial connection of course), I can see the processor and all the 1769 modules to the right of it. I see nothing on the left side of the processor (i.e. my 2 ENBT modules). Is the 'virtual backplane' eds file different than the eds file for my L43 controller? If so, where can I find it?

🍻

-Eric

RSLinxENBT.jpg