which of you clever Americans programmed this

Amazing how, as a species, we are clever enough to create something like that and yet haven't the brains to be able to settle conflicts without murdering each other??
Analysing movement/balance is a lot different than analysing and dealing with human motivation. On the day that machines get more complex than humans I'll break out my Terminator movies and start studying.

CharlesM said:
I can tell no more Gore jokes. After showing this post to a guy here he quickly followed with an email of the following.

http://www.snopes.com/quotes/internet.asp

Must have hit a soft spot.
Al Gore is quoted in that artice as saying "creating"...if he helped provide funding, that is great...but that is much different that creating...

I bought an iPod...so I helped fund more developments, but I did not create the future advanvancements...nor would I be ignorant enough to claim that I did.

jprindle said:
Al Gore is quoted in that artice as saying "creating"...if he helped provide funding, that is great...but that is much different that creating...

I bought an iPod...so I helped fund more developments, but I did not create the future advanvancements...nor would I be ignorant enough to claim that I did.

"Took the initiative in creating" =/= "Creating".

Buying an IPod is not funding. It's paying for a finished product.
Providing funds for an unfinished product is something entirely else.

In that article it's mentioned he sponsored 2 Acts that were (imho) necesary in the creation of the intrawebs.

Other then that: When they making a smaller/more agile version? My cat would love one of those to play with....:D

Regardless of its urban legend status, the story of Al Gore "inventing the internet" has become part of our folklore, similar to Bill Gates' purported claim that 640K of memory was as much as anybody would ever need in a computer.

Last edited:
jprindle said:

It was during the Reagan adminstration that the initiative to find a way to move the DARPA-net into the public domain took root. (I remember some of my college professors talking about how one day we would have a worldwide network in the early 80's) Gore recognized the potential of the internet and supported its move to the public domain. But Darpa-net (ARPANET) was created in 1969 when Gore was a 21 year old military journalist. Work towards the goal of making it readily accessible to the public continued during G.H. Bush's administrations and with G. H. Bush's support Gore sponsored the bill that enabled the national information infratstructure that was instrumental in morphing arpanet into the internet. But to take any kind of credit for it is really a stretch, especially since the world wide web was a world wide effort. By the end of the 80's CERN was expanding CERNET across Europe, Australia had AARNET, and Japan had JUNET.

Was the infamous quote simply an unwise choice of words (as it is now painted) or an attempt to take credit? I suspect that it was some of both.

Last edited:
Alaric said:
It was during the Reagan adminstration that the initiative to find a way to move the DARPA-net into the public domain took root. (I remember some of my college professors talking about how one day we would have a worldwide network in the early 80's) Gore recognized the potential of the internet and supported its move to the public domain. But Darpa-net (ARPANET) was created in 1969 when Gore was a 21 year old military journalist. Work towards the goal of making it readily accessible to the public continued during G.H. Bush's administrations and with G. H. Bush's support Gore sponsored the bill that enabled the national information infratstructure that was instrumental in morphing arpanet into the internet. But to take any kind of credit for it is really a stretch, especially since the world wide web was a world wide effort. By the end of the 80's CERN was expanding CERNET across Europe, Australia had AARNET, and Japan had JUNET.

Was the infamous quote simply an unwise choice of words (as it is now painted) or an attempt to take credit? I suspect that it was some of both.

I think that is truly the case...some of both.

🍻