Which PLC for this application

Steer clear of the DL06 if you are doing math, especially floating point. While it does math, its a right pain in the butt. (BCD integers and doesnt handle floats as a single element but two seperate words) IMO any modern PLC that doesnt have an OS supporting binary integers and floats as single elements is not worth the time.

You are not going to find a PLC to directly handle the current and voltages you specified. Use interposing contactors. This is a standard industry practice.

Last edited:
Backtopic,

I'd advise you to read chapter 5 of the manual before deciding that the DL06 math capabilities are not adaquate for your application....

Alaric,

In this neck of the woods, we have more time than money. The DL-06 may not be worth your time, but it is worth my money!

oops, sorry guys. I didn't mean PLCs. I meant Relays that can handle a max voltage and current of 3kv and 30A.
oh, it should be Rail mountable.
Thanks again.

backtoplc said:
oops, sorry guys. I didn't mean PLCs. I meant Relays that can handle a max voltage and current of 3kv and 30A.
oh, it should be Rail mountable.
Thanks again.

You may want to switch the PRIMARY side of the transformer. If the primary power supply is 480v, then the relay would be a contactor rated at something like 600v and 150 amps. It wont be rail mountable.

Lancie1 said:
Alaric,

In this neck of the woods, we have more time than money. The DL-06 may not be worth your time, but it is worth my money!

I understand completely. Sometimes the hardware budget is the single biggest concern. I'm just advocating that the user take a look at how the math is handled and factor that into the decision. For the record, I've got nothing against the DL06, I buy from Automation Direct all the time, but I still think they are overdue for modernizing their PLC firmware.

backtoplc,

You need to make up your mind about what you are trying to do. We are shooting at moving targets here...

Alaric is right. Tyco Electronics has the K44P334 relay, 8000 volts, 50 Amp contact, 24 volts DC coil (suitable for use with PLCs by the way). See following link:

http://catalog.tycoelectronics.com/TE/bin/TE.Connect?C=20439&P=133549,137882,137883,137886,137871,133577,134949,133541,133529,133537,133530,133532,133533,133531,133534,133546,133539,133538&M=PROP&LG=1&I=13&G=G&N=1&IDS=229133,229223,229241,229244,229247,229253

K44P334

I guess I am from the other side of the fence. As a designer/systems integrator my time is more valuable than a higher cost of hardware and software, within reason. I guess "within reason" is subjective also.

The big problem is that you get to a point on site where averyone else is finished and you have to commission the system. Does not matter that you have been held up for months by everyone else it is a case of "we're ready why aren't you?" Practical completion, get in the bill so we can all get paid.

Even worse the shaking of the piece of paper about liquidated damages. Got to get in and get out in a hurry.

I am sure many of you have been there. Need fast, easy, great online programming functions, plenty of function blocks to make life easy, great monitoring tools etc. These become far more important than hardware and software price.

BobB said:
The big problem is that you get to a point on site where averyone else is finished and you have to commission the system. Does not matter that you have been held up for months by everyone else it is a case of "we're ready why aren't you?" Practical completion, get in the bill so we can all get paid.

Even worse the shaking of the piece of paper about liquidated damages. Got to get in and get out in a hurry.

I am sure many of you have been there. Need fast, easy, great online programming functions, plenty of function blocks to make life easy, great monitoring tools etc. These become far more important than hardware and software price.

I've been there. As recently as last week. It didn't matter that the control panel has been completed since last October and sitting next to the equipment since then.

only a few other thoughts here. im thinking u said some along the lines of more that just on and off heat. maybe im just to brain dead tonight after seeing blocks and math. for 16 hours.geez this **** will kill u. anyway.

the words CT come to mind. to monitor or control some of your heating. and another thing u said about alot of buttons and switches.
a slc/5/04 is DH capable which will interface to rsview. which will give u acces to some from where ever u wont to be. and the logix 5000 wouldnt be a bad choice on a machine like this. i think money will be a issue hehe. seems to always get throwed in my facce hehe.
and before going with. some other plc. do make sure u can understand and control the data. like mitsubishi for instants.
i called myself a programmer. and a top class programmer untill i set down in front of one of them. i like rockwell software user friendly features. and its what im use too. so its only personal prefrence. if u get in a tight. during this job. let me know.
i travel. when needed. which seems to be too much lately.
but always up to see new things.

good luck.

Seen a lot worse than Mitsubishi believe me.

Won't mentions names - don't want to start another slinging match.

We all have our likes and dislikes.