WinCC Flexible - is there a command (function) to open a new (sizable) Window in RT?

RMA

In ProTool it was only possible to create complete screens, but if I remember rightly (it's about 4 years since I worked with it) it is possible to open new Windows in WinCC. I've had a look through the available commands, but can't see anything that looks like a possible candidate.

Does anybody know for sure whether or not this is possible?

Last edited:
It is not possible.

The only possibility is to create a window-like screen object and use hide/unhide animation with it.

Maybe there is a possibility to create Windows message boxes (i.e. "yes" - "no" dialog boxes or similar) to appear via scripts. But I am not sure about it.

edit:
When they finally release the next version that should be the replacement for the classic WinCC, then I guess it will become possible. How else will they be able to migrate old WinCC projects if not all the functionality can be ported over ?
(There is allready an option to open WinCC projects in Flexible with the current version, but I have never tried it. I think that conversion utility cuts out a lot of the functionality in WinCC when porting to Flexible).

Last edited:
You can do dialog boxes from scripts. Flex does not support these dialogs but you can make a Windows API call that will pull them up. I think I have posted some of these script here before. If you can't find what you need let me know and I'll post what I have.

Using animation may work for you. You could try to put it in the screen template then it would be available for all screens. This is normal for a pop up alarm screen.

Using animation may work for you. You could try to put it in the screen template then it would be available for all screens. This is normal for a pop up alarm screen.

I gave this a try with mixed results. I put a box on my template screen and set the visible to a bit. It worked but the box was behind everything. It will work well if I can find a way to bring the box to front.

CharlesM,
If you look in the "Properties" area for your box and place it on a higher layer than the other objects on the screen, it should be in front of everything else. The layering function is nice, it was alot of work manipulating the "Move Front", "Move Back" functions in Protool for several objects to layer a complex graphic properly. 0 is the bottom layer and they stack incrementally on top of that.

Best regards,
Chris

Thanks for the suggestion

I just gave this a try without any luck. I think it may have something to do with the template screen.

I opened my project then opened the template screen. The current layer was on 1 so I set it to 13. I then put in a rectangle and set the animation to be visible with an input. During runtime it is visible with the input but it is still located behind eveything on the screen.

Did I do something wrong?

CharlesM said:
Did I do something wrong?
No, I think that this the way it is.
You cannot do it that way. The closest is to put a show/hide-animated window on each screen. Of course, that is a real nuisance when configuring the other elements on the screen.

Another possibility is to make a call to an external subroutine. You cannot do it with a regular script. I saw something about it somewhere, maybe on sps-forum.de

Hallo Jesper

I've also a wincc flex 2008 project. A costumer of our company wnat's if there's a alrm, the alarm window come to the front of the window. Is it possible?

Thanks.

Hi exmore.
Please start a new thread next time.

You can either have an alarm banner that displays in a fixed area, or an alarm view that pops up in front of the current view.
I think that switching screens automatically when a new alarm arrives is maybe possible. But it would be totally obnoxious, which is why that is not a native alarm behaviour.

I'm sorry but i saw you online, my apologies. It's verry urgent :(...Do you maybe know how i can do this?
@ cjd1965 i tried, but the alarm window can only be seen in the wincc area. I need it outside the wincc area.

Exmore, how can win cc pop up an alrm banner outside of itself?

I suggested you use extended desktop for a 2nd monitor, dedicated to wiincc and cant see any other solution

Best of luck