Windows 10 as a SCADA/HMI Platform

Archie

Has anyone deployed any SCADA or HMI applications running on Windows 10? If so, what are you thoughts and experiences? If not, is there a reason you stayed away from it?

I have AdvancedHMI running on two Win10PRO desktops and a Win10-32bit tablet, and have no issues with either. I prefer Win10 to Win8.1 that I had when I bought a desktop (and upgraded as soon as I could), and I also prefer 10 over the Win7PRO computers I use at my day job - especially since I use multiple monitors on all and got used to the separate task bars on each monitor.

The HMI's I have running I really try to push to the limit to see what they can do, and what I can do, and are running 4 SLC PLC's concurrently.

I've been avoiding Win 10 for everything, because pretty much no software I use has been updated to support it yet. I suspect drivers could be a similar issue, although that wouldn't matter on a brand new PC.

I tried out the tech preview, though, and it seemed more or less good. From the SCADA user's perspective, I don't think they would be interacting with the Windows OS much anyway.

I haven't heard any bad things about reliability of Win10, but I've heard a lot of complaints about the OS calling back to Microsoft with what you are doing. To be fair, they've apparently been doing it since Win 7, so avoiding the migration doesn't help you much.

Has anyone deployed any SCADA or HMI applications running on Windows 10? If so, what are you thoughts and experiences? If not, is there a reason you stayed away from it?

Iconics Genesis32 (version 9.4) and Genesis64 (version 10.9) both run on Windows 10. They seem to run very well.

I agree with others that there is software that doesn't play nice and I'm not defending Microsoft and I'm not blaming the incompatible software, but I have found Windows 10 to be at least as good as Windows 7 and maybe better for software that *is* compatible. This is very subjective, but I have moved to Windows 10 on most of my machines because most of the software I use on a daily basis is compatible.

I have Windows 10 on both laptop and desktop and only had one issue with my CAD package but there is an easy work around.
Omron have not fully tested their software for Windows 10 but once again I am using it very regularly and have not had an issue even with all the networking and communications parts of the CX-One package.
It just simply runs better and cleaner and less dramas than any Microsucks OS I have`ever used.
I am about to migrate a Citect system onto Windows 10 - Schneider tell me it is not tested but they have tested it for Windows 8.1 so I will be very surprised if there are issues.
Let you know sometime next month when it is done.

I have installed and ran:
RSLinx 3.8
RSLogix5000 20.01
FTView Studio Enterprise Edition 8.1

And they all seem to work OK but I have not put them into production.

Not on a true production basis, but once I figured out that I had to turn the touch screen off on my Win10 Laptop (since apparently MS changed the method from Win8.1), most software has been ok.

Automation Direct's DoMore simulator seems to run fine, using Ethernet / ModbusTCP to communicate to drives and such. It's basically a SCADA package in itself...

I have setup Intouch 11.0 (wonderware) on a windows 10 machine. It is only setup with viewer, was unable to get windowmaker on it. Setup as NAD from a windows 8 machine.

I deployed 2 systems on Windows 8.1 and found it was impossible to do things such as pull out the charms bar with the touch screen only, which was an industrial resistive touch screen.

I have deployed four Windows 10 based systems and mostly find that I sometimes struggle finding the settings that I knew very well on Windows 7, so it's just learning my way around a new OS. Because of my experience with Windows 8, I immediately used a keyboard and didn't try to purely use the touch screen to configure the Windows 10 OS (e.g. screen resolution, IP address, etc.). Once configured, the HMI software ran fine.