SCADA/HMI as Windows service

0liver_d

Hi all, I wanted to ask, is it possible to run a SCADA/HMI as a Windows service in my workstation? For example, let's say the project's workstation is forced to be installed at a site that requires frequent or random restart. It will be alot more convenient if I am able to run the SCADA as a windows service, in which it can autorun during every startup without any hassle.

0liver_d

Well it depends on the SCADA system, generally, yes it can. If you can tell us what you have, we might be able to help you more.

Hello,

As rdrast said. Create a shortcut to the EXE and place it in the startup folder.
MS Windows services cannot have a graphical user interface (GUI). If a GUI is needed another program is used to communicate with the service.

So, if the EXE has a GUI then answer is it cannot run as a service. If it does not have a GUI then, the answer is maybe.

Scada systems can have multiple threads. WinCC (from Siemens, where my experience is), has services for tag collection, scripting, etc, that are independent of whether the GUI is running.

Thanks everyone for your kind replies.

In fact, one of my projects will be using SCADA for mostly tag data collection and of course the later automated database report printing. GUI in this case shouldn't be that important.

So, I was thinking if it is possible to run it as a service (in the background will do), at the same time the workstation's CPU usage can be lower (I hope so).

We haven't exactly had a decision on the SCADA yet, it will be helpful if you can give some names here. ;)

Run SCADA as service has its own benefits, as I copied from integraxor.com

Advantages of Service Mode

Auto start upon boot up, without signing in.
System will continue to run even user sign out.
Closing GUI will not disturb operation.
No need admin privilege to start, so no UAC prompt.
Service mode is more stable because it can auto recover.

That's why a decent SCADA allows you to do just that. I'm not sure about Wonderware, but Citect has this service feature as well. However, this is OS related feature, so be concerned of Windows version compatibility, what works in Win 7 may not work in Win 10. Ask your vendor first. Good luck!

What I have done in the past is for the auto logged on Operator account is change their Shell configuration in the registry. Instead of Explorer.exe being run, I had windows run the HMI's runtime EXE file. This kept the standard windows interface from starting but automatically starts the HMI. If someone needs to work on the PC they would need to plug in a KB/Mouse or Remote into it, log the Operator account out, log in the admin account and up comes the standard windows shell. If you have to fix something under the Operator account and need Explorer.exe running, you just plug in the Keyboard/mouse/remote in. Hit Ctrl-Shift-Esc to call up Task Manager and run Explorer.exe.

http://www.somethingsomewhere.net/change-shell-of-windows-7-for-only-one-specific-user/

I would recommend Ignition from Inductive Automation. It behaves exactly as you have described. The software itself is loaded on a computer. That computer/software is called the Gateway. As soon as the computer is started, the software runs as a service and makes all of the connections to your PLC's and begins logging information to the SCADA database. No one needs to sign in for this to happen. No GUI needs to be functioning. No GUI even needs to be created. The drawback is that you'll have to provide your own SQL solution. Ignition easily integrates with all of the major SQL programs (SQL Server, MySQL, many more).

The programming suite is extremely powerful and flexible and allows for GUI applications to be run from any PC that can connect to the Gateway computer. No additional software needs to be loaded except for Java - which is very likely to already be installed on your computer anyway.

You can download and install a full version of the software from their website to try it out for free. It will do everything the paid-for version will do, but it will stop functioning every 2 hours until you reset the timer. Which you can do as many times as you like.

Run SCADA as service has its own benefits, as I copied from integraxor.com

Advantages of Service Mode

Auto start upon boot up, without signing in.
System will continue to run even user sign out.
Closing GUI will not disturb operation.
No need admin privilege to start, so no UAC prompt.
Service mode is more stable because it can auto recover.

That's why a decent SCADA allows you to do just that. I'm not sure about Wonderware, but Citect has this service feature as well. However, this is OS related feature, so be concerned of Windows version compatibility, what works in Win 7 may not work in Win 10. Ask your vendor first. Good luck!

You mentioned the important point which I missed. Yes one of the reasons we wanted to use it as service because we wanted to skip the user sign in part. I've heard of Integraxor before, and it seems pretty much suitable for my project. We probably will give it a try.

What I have done in the past is for the auto logged on Operator account is change their Shell configuration in the registry. Instead of Explorer.exe being run, I had windows run the HMI's runtime EXE file. This kept the standard windows interface from starting but automatically starts the HMI. If someone needs to work on the PC they would need to plug in a KB/Mouse or Remote into it, log the Operator account out, log in the admin account and up comes the standard windows shell. If you have to fix something under the Operator account and need Explorer.exe running, you just plug in the Keyboard/mouse/remote in. Hit Ctrl-Shift-Esc to call up Task Manager and run Explorer.exe.

http://www.somethingsomewhere.net/change-shell-of-windows-7-for-only-one-specific-user/

Thanks for your useful tips!

I would recommend Ignition from Inductive Automation. It behaves exactly as you have described. The software itself is loaded on a computer. That computer/software is called the Gateway. As soon as the computer is started, the software runs as a service and makes all of the connections to your PLC's and begins logging information to the SCADA database. No one needs to sign in for this to happen. No GUI needs to be functioning. No GUI even needs to be created. The drawback is that you'll have to provide your own SQL solution. Ignition easily integrates with all of the major SQL programs (SQL Server, MySQL, many more).

The programming suite is extremely powerful and flexible and allows for GUI applications to be run from any PC that can connect to the Gateway computer. No additional software needs to be loaded except for Java - which is very likely to already be installed on your computer anyway.

You can download and install a full version of the software from their website to try it out for free. It will do everything the paid-for version will do, but it will stop functioning every 2 hours until you reset the timer. Which you can do as many times as you like.

Thanks for your info, we will have a look.

I would recommend Ignition from Inductive Automation. .....

We run that here at the plant I'm at. What I did before with the shell trick was used on package skids that were onsite assembled. Here much of Ignition fires up as services, the actual GUI is started by running the link on the desktop screen for the Ign system. Runs on little Intel NUC boxes. UltraSuperMiniPCs. Lower power, low heat, capable of windows 7. So perfect for a server based HMI where servers do all the heavy work.