Windows 7 and FactoryTalk View ME

AlecTek

Just received a new project working with a few PanelView Plus 7. I downloaded FactoryTalk View Studio 12 and found it requires Windows 10, however my laptop is Windows 7.

My question is should I install FTV V11? Will it work with the new PanelView Plus 7?

I can still install FVT12, will it have issues to work with Windows 7?

Thanks for all helps

Will it work with the new PanelView Plus 7?

What versions your the Panelview Plus will be able to handle is determined by its firmware. Generally you can run a lower version .mer file without issues.

If it has an existing v12 file you will not be able to convert it back to a project with a v11 installation.

For what it's worth I have FT View Studio v12 running on a Windows 7 VM. It's been some time since I installed it. I recall warnings during setup that it requires Windows 10, but it installed fine and has been working fine for me.

I'm with sbaum. I would go ahead and install it. I recall having v12 on my Windows 7 VM at one time. I never had any issues.

Version 11 will work just fine with the PV+ 7 and it was the last version to support Windows 7. But as was mentioned, if there is an existing application that was created using version 12, your version 11 would not be able to work with it.

The PanelView can run older applications. So even if it has version 12 firmware, it will still run version 11 applications.

Suggestion: your next step should be to get your computer upgraded. Windows 7 was obsoleted two years ago. You will keep running into issues with software not being compatible. And some may prevent installation on an older operating system. Many of us here use virtual machines that allow us to boot up virtual computers running older operating systems when we need them. My PC currently runs Windows 10, but I have Windows XP, Windows 7, and Windows 10 virtual machines. I used to have DOS, Linux, and server operating system VMs as well. I can boot up any of these when I need them.

I never install any controls related software on my computer any more. I always install them in virtual machines.

OG