Winlinx: Moving from PC to PC

Mike Carter

We have an OEM HMI (written in VB 2.0) program running on an old Compaq Pentium machine. It's going on 10 years old with the original 1 GB hard drive. Visual basic is using DDE and topics to get data from the PLC5/40 to the HMI. This is all running on Windows 3.11 for work groups. I don't have the Winlinx disks as the software was installed by the OEM. I have configured everything to run on a new PC with the exception of Winlinx. All of the files were copied over a network from the old machine to new.
What can I do to get Winlinx to run on the new machine? I'm not sure if there are some hidden files that were not copied or something missing from the Windows directory. The path to the Winlinx files is c:\ICOM\WINLINX.

RSLINX is not an option because I don't have the source VB code to modify the ICOMDRV statements to RSLINX.

Regards and Thanks
Mike Carter

Who has activation?
If you have it - I guess you must have it to run DDE linx, then call techsupport, they should be able to get you a copy based on the serial number.

You can't just copy a folder, Windows directory will have DLL and INI files as well.

This is true. Remember its still Win 3.11. I was able to copy MS Access and Lotus 123r5 and they worked. But I believe the INI file and a missing DLL is probably the culprit. I agree we must have the activation file, but without the original disks I'm wonder how I can do an activation move? A call to Rockwell might be in order.

but without the original disks I'm wonder how I can do an activation move? A call to Rockwell might be in order.
How you know that Winlinx does not work if you did not move activation?
You MUST have original master disk to move it. DDE will not work without activation as far as I remember

If you still using win 3.11, why can't you use a Ghost to copy harddrive image?
I am not sure if ghost will recognize 3.11 ;)

I resolved the problem. I didn't have all of the files from the Windows directory that were related to Winlinx in place. Once I copied them over from the original drive it worked like a charm.
WIN 3.11 is not nearly as retrictive as the new OS's. I made of copy of one complete hard drive by doing an xcopy c: d: /e /v. Where D: is the second hard drive formatted with the /s switch. When I plugged that drive in the machine booted perfectly and everything worked.