Wire Sizing Help

mikeyboy

I have to run a power cable from a Weld Control to a weld transformer on the end of a robot.

The weld control has a 300A SCR. Do I have to run wire rated for 300A to the end of the robot?

The weld control will have about a 8% duty cycle. When welding it will only take about 140A normally.

I am not sure how to factor in the duty cycle into the cable size. Any help would be appreciated.

There is wire designed specifically for welding. It is a lot more flexible and sized by the manufacturer for a given application that includes the amps and duty cycle. Perhaps you really need to consult your robot and/or welding supplier for this. Having said this, my best guess would be that if you were to use #2AWG motor lead wire, it should handle the current and duty cycle, if the length is reasonably short.

There is wire designed specifically for welding. It is a lot more flexible and sized by the manufacturer for a given application that includes the amps and duty cycle. Perhaps you really need to consult your robot and/or welding supplier for this. Having said this, my best guess would be that if you were to use #2AWG motor lead wire, it should handle the current and duty cycle, if the length is reasonably short.
Out of curiosity, how did you come up with using 2awg

Out of curiosity, how did you come up with using 2awg
Just a guess based on the statement about 140 amps being the normal load. #2AWG THHN is rated in that range with the free-air rating being higher than that and in conduit not quite that high. It should be a conservative guess based on the 8% duty cycle. Motor or welding lead type wire is designed for a higher ampacity than THHN insulated wire for a given wire gauge.

Refernecing Roman Transformers FAQ's I have detiremined the following.

72KVA Transformer x 50% duty cycle x 1000 = 36000VA
----------------------------------------------------- = 53A continuous
480V primary voltage x 1.41 = 676.8V

Considering the above I should be able to use a 4AWG and be ok.

Thanks everyone for your input.:site: