Wireless Ethernet

Circiter

Hello Y'all,

I was wondering if there is any standalone solution to replace the ethernet cable to connect to a PLC? like perhaps a "Dongle" that I can plug in my PLC and the other dongle in my Laptop and make a wireless connection like this? So that I can take my laptop with me to the machine. Perhaps an easy application without to many routers, 'cuz I get to many factories..

I had several machines that were in a cleanroom, since it was such a pain to dress up and I could see the machine through a window also I did not need to be in the room I would use Bluetooth, worked good and I think the technology has improved since then I would look into a Bluetooth adapter

I have a cheapo WiFi router, disable DHCP, set it to a static IP inside the subnet of the PLC, connect to it (laptop is also set to a static IP), done.

You may need to change the IP depending on how each PLC/system is setup, but that is fast to do.

I have a cheapo WiFi router, disable DHCP, set it to a static IP inside the subnet of the PLC, connect to it (laptop is also set to a static IP), done.

You may need to change the IP depending on how each PLC/system is setup, but that is fast to do.

We do this as well, it works great!
This is the router: https://mikrotik.com/product/RB952Ui-5ac2nD

We also use a micro-USB to ethernet adapter since we don't carry the router to every job.

Link to converter:https://www.bestbuy.com/site/insignia-usb-c-to-ethernet-adapter-black/6521726.p?skuId=6521726

I attatched a couple of screenshots. It really is not hard to use, once you plug the USB end into your computer and connect the ethernet end to your network, the driver should appear under network connections. From there on you just configure it as if it was a native ethernet port on your computer e.g. assign static IP, subnet, gateway etc.

Edit: @modiconguy, sorry for the RSLinx screenshot, it just happened to be a convenient example. :)

Screenshot (18).png Screenshot (19).png

Oh it's just an external ethernet port for your laptop. We still buy them built-in, and I carry a USB-C hub to the panel for other functions including a backup network port in case mine fails.
When you said micro-USB I was picturing you using an old phone or adapting a USB-only controller to a network.

You just have to connect a WiFi Access Point to your PLC and connect your laptop to the new created WiFi network.

You don't have to connect any device to the laptop.

You have to assign the same network mask to the PLC and the AP, normally 255.255.255.0, and two different IPs, for example 192.168.1.1 for the AP and 192.168.1.2 for the PLC

The DHCP of the AP will assign an IP to the laptop automatically when connecting to the new WiFi network

The Access Point can be a simple D-Link DAP-2020