Wireless Ethernet

The GL.iNet GL-MT300N-V2 on amazon is my personal favorite. I usually have a portable battery that I pack around, I power the router with that.

Perhaps this would work? I have my PLC on my home network so what I did was take this HMI panel, power it with batteries and used this to make it wireless. Now I can control the trains from any room in my house.

You could use this to plug into a PLC with Ethernet and make it wireless and use the wireless on your laptop. It requires a 5V supply (USB connection) so use a small USB battery bank to power it.

http://en.vonets.es/products/VAP11G-300/

0325231609b (Medium).jpg 0325231609 (Medium).jpg

The TP-Link TL-WR802N is cheap and gets the job done fine.

I have a power bank I keep with me to run it off of, if there's no other power source.

with a 8000mAH battery it has lasted multiple days.

I use it in AP mode, and I assign multiple IP adresses to the wifi device I intend to connect with, Allows me to reach straight through to the device IP's on the industrial network.

Yes that's all it is. My laptop unfortunately does not have a ethernet port much less a standard USB port, hence the need to use such a device.

I used to dislike this about newer laptops, but have come to like the USB adapters quite a bit as I have fewer network issues. Plus Windows saves the configurations for each one, so if you have a lot of common subnets to be on, just get a different adapter for each one, label them and swap out as needed. Saves a few keystrokes.

For OP, travel router like any listed here. I use the TP Link.

With the amount of Security employed in facilities now, rarely am I allowed to use anything wireless for fear of hackers. Remote chance, but when you have IT nerds that don't understand industrial networks and equate everything to porous Microsoft, it's what I face more times than not. I have some clients that won't even allow me to connect my laptop via a wired connection. I have to use their PC.

But if you create your own WiFi network, connecting an AP to the PLC, you will only have access to the PLC and nothing else, completely isolated from the factory network, wired or not.

But if you create your own WiFi network, connecting an AP to the PLC, you will only have access to the PLC and nothing else, completely isolated from the factory network, wired or not.

Believe me, I've had that argument numerous times. The IT graduates from Pheonix and Devry don't understand.

Believe me, I've had that argument numerous times. The IT graduates from Pheonix and Devry don't understand.

Always the same discussion. Wifi is encrypted, so no way (for normal people) to break the wifi encryption. On the other side, ethernet is normaly not protected at all.. in most facilities, getting physical access to the lan network will be a lot easyier than try to break wpa2 or wpa3.

Hello Y'all,

I was wondering if there is any standalone solution to replace the ethernet cable to connect to a PLC? like perhaps a "Dongle" that I can plug in my PLC and the other dongle in my Laptop and make a wireless connection like this? So that I can take my laptop with me to the machine. Perhaps an easy application without to many routers, 'cuz I get to many factories..

A Mikrotik RouterBoard like this one can be powered from a 24V supply in the cabinet.

Sets it apart from most consumer 12V devices that need wall adapters.