Wireless IO Link

CLanford

Hi All,

I am working with an outside vendor on a project, and they have asked if they can use Wireless IO link for one of their remote IO blocks on a robot. I have not worked with wireless remote IO before.

My first instinct is to say no because of inherent issues with wireless communications in industrial environments, but I've done a bit of reading on IO Link wireless and all the vendors claim its super robust in terms of uptime and resistance to interference.

Has anyone here had any experience with it? Interested to hear about any experience you've had (positive or negative). Just looking to get a feel if this is something I'd want to consider.

Thanks

I have not used it myself but when I used new or unfamiliar products i always get the supplier directly involved in the project. If they stand by their product they will give back up support to you and will give you and customer ease of mind. I did the same with some io link modules not commonly used recently and there were a few hiccups but I didnt have to struggle on my own as i made the supplier aware of the situation well in advance before purchasing the product

In my experience, wireless anything for controls always turns into a nightmare and maintenance problem. I have not worked with Wireless IO link, but the other products I have worked with would have more than paid for the cost of the cable many times over for all the time and effort wasted fixing and maintaining them.