wiring PLC digital outputs to VFD

Guys I don't think he was necessarily intending to use an external power supply on the drive terminals. I think he was doing something like this

7 VAC
X----------X
OUT0 5
X-----------X

quote]

That was my assumption as well. If he wired 120V to the system, then I imagine he is still trying to put the smoke back in.... Hence the silence on the update.

I am so sorry for not updating until now. I got so busy that I could not even touch this issue. I had decided to use interposing relays as all of you had suggested. Thank you so much. The reason I wanted to try my original method was that I found out the PLC had relay outputs. What Brstilson had described was exactly what I was describing. I still think that it would have worked since the relay contacts are just dry contacts, but I didn't trust my knowledge enough to connect VFD's COM terminal to PLC's VAC/VDC terminal. Thank all of you again.

The reason I wanted to try my original method was that I found out the PLC had relay outputs. What Brstilson had described was exactly what I was describing. I still think that it would have worked since the relay contacts are just dry contacts, but I didn't trust my knowledge enough to connect VFD's COM terminal to PLC's VAC/VDC terminal. Thank all of you again.

I had a feeling it was something like this, or that if you wired the power from the 12vdc of the drive as the source for the triac module it might actually work. I was grinning reading the thread.

Thanks for the punch line...not as exciting as Lancie's but thanks anyway.

Yes.

I got that from an early post, someone assumed you had triac modules.

I thought you were going to take the +12vdc from the VFD to the AC output card AC common terminals and use the triac outputs to switch the 12vdc signals going back to the drive.

I am not sure what would happen. Maybe nothing. Maybe it would have worked. Maybe a little of both. I think no smoke though, nor damage.

If you had applied 120vac to the PLC card output common and the drive terminals, that is a whole 'nother smelly story. Probably a sizzle maybe a pop, some small fire and little smoke, unmistakable smell.

It was all a misunderstanding gone astray awaiting a part number I think.

Last edited: