Wonderware Guru's

dbh6

Lifetime Supporting Member
Some upgrading questions....

I have clients that want to upgrade to the latest Wonderware 2012 R2 aka 10.6 version, running on windows 7. Some of their applications versions are 6.0b running on windows 2000/XP while the others are 9.5 running on windows XP.

I'm aware that you can't just convert from 6.0b to 10.6, but more so in steps, ex. from 6.0b to 7.1 then to 10.6, and for version 9.5 to 10.6 conversion which i think is fine.

So my question arises, first of all is what i mentioned feasible?
second, doing the conversion of the applications can it be done on any OS, ex say you have 6.0b installed on windows 7 PC can you upgrade it to 7.1 on windows 7? or does it have to be converted on windows xp or 2000?

Their are IO drivers that i use for the applications, specifically the TiDir, CTI2572 & Modbus drivers, so are these drivers supported in Windows 7? and if they are not is their a workaround for that?

I currently just installed 10.6 to my windows 7 PC and would like to test functionality of the apps that are 6.0b or 9.5 converted to 10.6, but first i need to know of that is feasible, would appreciate any help on this thanks.

This would be best addressed by your local Wonderware technical support.

They might be able to migrate the app through the versions for a nominal fee.

I would agree, talk to your rep you've got a bunch of detailed questions. Are you supplying new WondreWare licenses? If so you might as well call for that and the technical knowledge.

I think the conversion is probably pretty straight forward, basically open the application in 10.6 and see what happens, it will convert it for you if it can. I think the IO drivers required is going to be challenge, sorting out what you need there is for sure a call to WonderWare.

I believe that you have to upgrade to 7.1 first.
But I don't remember trying to convert from Ver 6.0b, most of my early conversions were 5.6, and I had to step thru with a conversion to 7.1 first.
Make a a backup copy of the 6.0B app first, then try to open it with 10.6. May work, but if it screws up you still have the backup copy.

FWIW, I had an older 7.1 Wonderware config I tried to upgrade to 9.5. The older version somehow allowed a tag or name that it would not allow on upgrade. If this happens, you'll actually have to modify the older application first.

Pain in the rear conversion process when you go that route.

Thanks for the info guys, i did get in contact with my local rep, so i might as well let everyone know in case someone needs to do this in the future. Below is their exact reply

[FONT=&quot]Unfortunately the TIDir and CTI2572 I/O server is not supported on Windows 7. Couple options:[/FONT]

· [FONT=&quot]Use an OPC server with FSGateway to setup communication with InTouch[/FONT]
· [FONT=&quot]Use Software ToolBox TopServer for communication. Below is a link to the Driver which should handle both TI and CTI devices:[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot] http://www.toolboxopc.com/html/DriverDetailPage_Production.asp?pn=41233151[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]For the Modbus, is this Ethernet or serial?[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]WonderWare does have a DAServer, DASMBTCP for Modbus over Ethernet which is supported on Windows 7. For Modbus Serial, TopServer also has a driver:[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]http://www.toolboxopc.com/html/modbussuite.html[/FONT]

I'm curretly trying out the Top server as it has a free demo version that runs for 2hours.

Also as far as the conversion goes, i have a colleague of mine that has been converting from 6.0b to 9.5 no known issues, so ill probably convert it to 9.5 then go to 10.6 as that should work.

Thanks for the info guys, i did get in contact with my local rep, so i might as well let everyone know in case someone needs to do this in the future. Below is their exact reply

[FONT=&quot]Unfortunately the TIDir and CTI2572 I/O server is not supported on Windows 7. Couple options:[/FONT]

· [FONT=&quot]Use an OPC server with FSGateway to setup communication with InTouch[/FONT]
· [FONT=&quot]Use Software ToolBox TopServer for communication. Below is a link to the Driver which should handle both TI and CTI devices:[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot] http://www.toolboxopc.com/html/DriverDetailPage_Production.asp?pn=41233151[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]For the Modbus, is this Ethernet or serial?[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]WonderWare does have a DAServer, DASMBTCP for Modbus over Ethernet which is supported on Windows 7. For Modbus Serial, TopServer also has a driver:[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]http://www.toolboxopc.com/html/modbussuite.html[/FONT]

I'm curretly trying out the Top server as it has a free demo version that runs for 2hours.

Also as far as the conversion goes, i have a colleague of mine that has been converting from 6.0b to 9.5 no known issues, so ill probably convert it to 9.5 then go to 10.6 as that should work.

Hi,

Did this work? The facility I work at has basically the same setup. As is: CTI-2500_C300 w/ 2572 card, Win xp, intouch 9.5. Upgrade: same plc, wix 7, intouch 2012r2 (10.6).

Thanks,
Derek

Been swamped with work I didn't fully test it yet. However for it to work you need to use some kind if OPC server, Wonder ware recommends software toolbox however you can use Kepware (KepServer). Both Kepware and software toolbox are almost similar as far as their configuration goes, but they have manuals on how to set it up with wonderware which was pretty straight forward. Another thing is you can't just run TIsoft on windows 7, to be specific you can but you can run into problems, the workaround for that is to use software DosBox as a Dos emulator and just map your drive using Dos commands and the emulator will run TIsoft for you so you can download the PLC programs, you can get DOsBOx for free just do a search on google and you should find it.

Been swamped with work I didn't fully test it yet. However for it to work you need to use some kind if OPC server, Wonder ware recommends software toolbox however you can use Kepware (KepServer). Both Kepware and software toolbox are almost similar as far as their configuration goes, but they have manuals on how to set it up with wonderware which was pretty straight forward. Another thing is you can't just run TIsoft on windows 7, to be specific you can but you can run into problems, the workaround for that is to use software DosBox as a Dos emulator and just map your drive using Dos commands and the emulator will run TIsoft for you so you can download the PLC programs, you can get DOsBOx for free just do a search on google and you should find it.

I actually seen DOSbox for the first time last week on a vendors computer using win7 64bit to run tisoft for the old 545 plc's. I was impressed with how well it worked. I appreciate the tip.