Wonderware inTouch2012 setup.exe DOES NOTHING

rrangaprasad

Hello All
I've posted my question on various wonderware specific forums with no luck. Thats why i'm posing this here.
We want to install InTouch 2012 on Windows server 2008 standard 32-bit SP2
- The main problem we are having is that, when we run the setup.exe from the InTocuh 2012 DVD, nothing happens. No error messages. No errors in any of the event logs in the windows event viewer.
- There is another exe called prerequisites.exe in the same folder and that works fine. (it tells us we have met all the prereq)
- We installed InTouch 10.1. SP3 in the same machine with no issues (we did this just to check the install of InTouch in general)
- The same InTouch 2012 DVD works fine in a different machine.
- Also, wiping the Server 2008 machine and re-installing is not an option, as there are other programs/databases that re currently running on it.
- The server machine has SQl server installed on it and running.
So far we've tried the following with no luck.
1. doing chkdsk
2. Copying the files to local mahine from DVD and running it
3. uninstall and re-intall .net 3.5
4. went to msconfig and stop all non-windows services and re-boot and after that tryied to run setup.exe
5. right click setup.exe and run as administrator (we are also logged in as system admin)
6. try to run setup.exe in compatability mode for server2003 and xp
7. In "Progfiles\commin files\archestra\install" folder, there are log files. The log file goes through some steps and stops. The last sentence is "Getmaintenancemode".
8. When we tried to run setup.exe from a different machine, as soon as a window pops up to continue product or role based setup, we looked in the inatsll log and found that the sentence following the "Getmaintenancemode" is regards to "getlocalefilespath()" and that the files path is the location of the Intouch DVD. Also as soon as you cancel the installation in this machine, all the whole install folder disappears. However in the server machine, the install folder is still there with some log files. So maybe
(a) the setup still thinks that it is running and it is frozen at a state (which multiple re-booting is not fixing)
(b) Maybe its not finding the path using "getlocalefilespath()"
I appreciate any help in this.

I can check that.
Should i be adding some application (wonderware) specific path in there?

Last edited:
The fact that the installation works on other systems tells me it is related to OS setup, so naturally the vendor would say this.

Please post your Log files.

I went through the install on server 2008 several months ago. As I recall there is a document in the root folder of the DVD that gives detailed instructions with screenshots on settings to change in windows prior to performing the install. I believe it also details options to select throughout the install including the installation of SQL server 2008 which is required. SQL 2008 must be installed in 32-bit mode. You say you already have SQL installed, this maybe your problem.

what are the differences between the two pc's?
is one an amd, ti, or other cpu chip versus an intel?
are the motherboards different?
this can make a difference sometimes, i had to replace items due to conflicts with autocad years ago.

the path statement made earlier is very true.

regards,
james

gmferg: I've went thro doc called "ASP Install guide". The first thing it mentions is go to server manager and in FEATURES enable .net 3.5.1. However, in my case, i always see .net 3.0 in the server FEATURES.

In the add/remove programs, i see .net 3.5.1 and 4. In my root system folder, under .net, i see all the versions starting at v1. I uninstalled v3.5.1 and re-installed v3.5.1. i cannot see any trace for v3.0 anywhere to delete. I don't know where it gtes the v3.0 in the server FEATURES.

"settings to change in windows prior to performing the install". I have no idea what to change. I didn't find anything like that. And the SQL server install is not related to WW. It was installed a while back. It is 32-bit.

James, The 2 pcs are totally different. The other pc is not even a server. its win-7. I did this merely to check that the DVD works.

Last edited:
I don't have the DVD with me so I'm describing from memory. The install I did included System Platform (IDE) so the instructions I'm remembering may have been more related to this. I went to a WW roadshow that was in my area when they were releasing version 2012. I remember them saying that Intouch is married to SQL with this version to take advantage of the ArchestA graphics. If you are installing Intouch only, it will install SQL server express version of SQL, a paired down version of SQL. SQL needs to be version 2008.

This executable is not supposed to be run directly... it is supposed to autorun, check prerequisites, then upgrade any Wonderware components.

I would check to see if autorun CD is disabled, then try running the EXE by right clicking and run as Administrator.

I would not reinstall the OS... geez

WW pre-req are all met (windows installer 4.5 and .Net 3.5 are all there. I right clicked and run as admin with no luck.

We are planning to re-install OS anyways. Since we are re-installing OS, we are going to install server 2008 R2 (64-bit). Now, the compatability matrix says its ok. Do you guys have any experience with Intouch2012 and 64-bit server OS.

Another thing, InTouch 2012 installs i believe a 32-bit version of SQL 2008 express. (its weird that even thou u select just InTouch dev/runtime in product based install, it installs ArchestraIDE and SQL express). This SQL is a Wonderware licensed one. Now, we want to install a full fledged SQL 2008 used for a different software later on in the year. Would that have issues with the fact that i have a SQL express?

I have no problem running any of the 2012 version on 2k8 R2... I haven't tried all of our solutions on Win7 64, but I do know that InTouch 2012 works.

The install process is meant to be as un-invasive as possible, installing everything necessary to guarantee success. The SQL Express is installed for the purpose of managing the new ArchestrA graphics available in InTouch. These graphics are vector based, and are a large departure from classic InTouch graphics. There should be no issues, as the full install should be the default instance. If SQL Express is already the named instance, you can modify that after the fact.