Wonderware programmer needed

segan11

I've had a catastrophic HMI computer failure. It was running Wonderware In touch from around 2014 on a very important machine that I use. I've got the backup hard drive, but I know nothing about how to restore the system viewer. Any chance a Wonderware programmer wants to give this a try?

Welcome to the forum! Do you know what exactly is on the back up hard drive? Is it a copy of the In Touch runtime project? Do you have records of the license activation number for In Touch, for the computer you lost? You will need to figure out how to license/activate your application. Maybe contact the wonderware rep in your area and see if they can help you replace the license/activation that was lost. Without having to pay for a new one

The good news is that WW 2014 from a licensing standpoint is the easiest to work with. They went to Schneider electric in 2017 and Aveva in 2020, both of which use online servers and are a pain.

If your backup is of the entire computer that would be great, as the license files are just text files in the Common Archestra directory and you can copy those over to the new PC. They would have names like WWSUITE.LIC, Archestra.LIC, etc. They will be in the Program Files (x86)\Common Files\Archestra\License folder.

If the backup is just the app, then hopefully you have those license files stored on some media somewhere.

To restore the app is easy. Just copy the application folder to the new computer, launch Intouch Application Manager, click Find Applications and point it to the the folder. Be sure to set your new PC's window resolution to the Intouch application resolution so you don't rescale the application.

Depending on how the application was configured, your backup may or may not have historical files. You can specifiy the application directory or another directory to hold history files. You'll need to open up windowmaker on the restored application, go under configure and then Historical Logging, and see if it using the application directory or a specific folder. If specific, you'll need to create that folder on the new PC.

The good news is that WW 2014 from a licensing standpoint is the easiest to work with. They went to Schneider electric in 2017 and Aveva in 2020, both of which use online servers and are a pain.

If your backup is of the entire computer that would be great, as the license files are just text files in the Common Archestra directory and you can copy those over to the new PC. They would have names like WWSUITE.LIC, Archestra.LIC, etc. They will be in the Program Files (x86)\Common Files\Archestra\License folder.

If the backup is just the app, then hopefully you have those license files stored on some media somewhere.

To restore the app is easy. Just copy the application folder to the new computer, launch Intouch Application Manager, click Find Applications and point it to the the folder. Be sure to set your new PC's window resolution to the Intouch application resolution so you don't rescale the application.

Depending on how the application was configured, your backup may or may not have historical files. You can specifiy the application directory or another directory to hold history files. You'll need to open up windowmaker on the restored application, go under configure and then Historical Logging, and see if it using the application directory or a specific folder. If specific, you'll need to create that folder on the new PC.

A little side trick I use to keep form accidently screwing all the window sizing because I opened an app in wrong resolution...
I ALWAYS do this first..
Open Intouch.ini in app directory..
Change ScaleForResolution=1 to ScaleForResolution=0

Then if your app is 1024x768 and you open under say 1920x1080... the windows stay at 1024x768.

A little side trick I use to keep form accidently screwing all the window sizing because I opened an app in wrong resolution...
I ALWAYS do this first..
Open Intouch.ini in app directory..
Change ScaleForResolution=1 to ScaleForResolution=0

Then if your app is 1024x768 and you open under say 1920x1080... the windows stay at 1024x768.

Agreed.....As a developer, I do this. In 2014, the entry isn't even in the INI file. You have to add it. In this case, I'm not even sure the OP has a development license or knows much about WW, so trying to keep it simple :)