Woodward: EasyGen LS5 Manual to Auto problem

ChrisZA

Dear all,

I have a generator / mains setup which is configured using the Woodward EasyGen3000-3500 and Woodward LS5 controllers.

When running in auto/manual/emergency mode, everything synchs and works perfectly.

When I attempt a load test in manual, the MCB & GCB synch perfectly and the MCB decouples via the LS5. However, as soon as I switch from Manual to AUTO on the EasyGen, it kicks out the GCB then recloses it. It does the same when attempting the load test in Auto with a DI02 load-test switch. As soon as the switch is deactivated the EasyGen kicks out the GCB when in Auto.

In a normal EasyGen setup the load test functions perfectly, but as soon as I have it connected to an LS5 (02-07 config) the GCB kicks out. This means I cannot perform a load test in Auto and have to manually run back and forth between the LS5 and EasyGen panels.

Any help and/or guidance will be greatly appreciated.

If you switch from Manual to Auto and DI02 "start in auto" is not asserted the easygen doesn't know it should have closed GCB so it opens it. Then presumably the load gets dropped so it closes the GCB to pick up the load.

I did a project with 5 LS5 and two easygen-3400 and had to use a PLC to co-ordinate the generator test function and transfer of loads back to utility. It would pick up the load automatically with the emergency run function.

If you switch from Manual to Auto and DI02 "start in auto" is not asserted the easygen doesn't know it should have closed GCB so it opens it. Then presumably the load gets dropped so it closes the GCB to pick up the load.

I did a project with 5 LS5 and two easygen-3400 and had to use a PLC to co-ordinate the generator test function and transfer of loads back to utility. It would pick up the load automatically with the emergency run function.

Cheers, thanks for the response. :)

Yeah I tried both ways, manual start then over to auto as well as in auto with a request to start switch on d02. Both times as soon as you switch to auto or turn off the d02 signal (while in auto) it trips the GCB immediately then recloses.

I have 2x easygens and 3x ls5s connected in the H mode (bus couple/tie breaker mode).

However they want the tie breaker ls5 to be manual for now, so I'm considering putting each gen/ls5 in L-mcb mode.

Its odd. Usually load test (d02) in auto runs fine, GCB stays closed...as soon as an ls5 enters the loop it drops out the GCB.

I suspect the can bus was wired incorrectly due to the transformers being labelled incorrectly by the panel builders, which I picked up before starting. But I never swapped the can cables because I assumed its all in parallel anyway as long as you terminate the ends with a 120ohm.

With the tie breaker ls5 in manual for the foreseeable future, which configuration would you recommend so that it does auto mains fail fine (which it does now and synchs back) as well as auto load &return without synch break (which it still drops)

I appreciate all your help so far!

My best
Chris

I've only worked on 1 system with LS5's but have seen a few with LS4's.
We have never operated the LS5/4 through the Easygen/GCP, they were always sequenced through a PLC over the top of the generator system