Worst thing to ever happen!!

Aww, no.......

Turning on a simulated value BEFORE setting the damn value to "healthy" in PCS7 CFC.......yep, 2000tpd stock prep. plant (in a paper mill) straight offline because it thinks it has no sealing water supply!o_O

Downloading (oh this nasty CTRL-S -> CTR-L habit ) DB to S7 containing current process setpoints after changing DB structure. All went to initial (0) values.
That silence... ;)

And another.........

Running CFC compiler with a block folder open in PCS7......that scares you first time......

I think that Siemens' "feature" is fixed in version 8.

After a successful FAT to our clients, it's time to disasemble the simulation set up and pack up for the night! Spirits were high, and just happily switch off the power switch for the extension socket (230VAC), before I start removing the connections to a step down transformer system.
Next thing I know, Woke up on the lap of a handsome paramedic, thinking I reached heaven.
My partner informed me that I not only gave myself a good opportunity to act as a discharge agent for the capacitors in the step-down system, I fried the PLC (old Idac model) CPU on our client's panel as well.
Moral of the story: always unplug all socket connections, even if you had already switched off the power, and allow all power system time to “cool down” before dismantling any connections.
I count myself lucky to be alive, and this still haunts even after 8 years.

I can't believe I forgot about this one.

I upgraded the air handler control system to Compact Logix where I worked a few years ago. After startup, unit one ran for a few weeks no problem. Then, the blower motor blew a fuse, and without air flow the flame couldn't be controlled and burned the unit on the inside pretty badly. It could have been a lot worse. All we lost were some damper motors, a flame eye, and all the air filters.

Took a look at my program and saw that I had left a bypass bit I had used for testing on accidentally. I copped to it and got rid of it (as well as adopting a much stricter policy on test bits).

Now, you might be thinking "but isn't there a hard-wired circuit with a flow switch that shuts the gas off if no air flow is detected and/or the gas pressure isn't within range, as required by code?" The answer to that question is yes, there most certainly was such a circuit.

Turns out, one of the maintenance guys a while back had a problem with the unit not starting, so their solution was to adjust the air flow switch so that it was always on, regardless of whether air was flowing or not. So basically the switch was effectively adjusted out of the circuit. So I guess the lesson I learned that day was never trust a hard wired circuit to save your programming mistakes.

I can't believe I forgot about this one.

I upgraded the air handler control system to Compact Logix where I worked a few years ago. After startup, unit one ran for a few weeks no problem. Then, the blower motor blew a fuse, and without air flow the flame couldn't be controlled and burned the unit on the inside pretty badly. It could have been a lot worse. All we lost were some damper motors, a flame eye, and all the air filters.

Took a look at my program and saw that I had left a bypass bit I had used for testing on accidentally. I copped to it and got rid of it (as well as adopting a much stricter policy on test bits).

Now, you might be thinking "but isn't there a hard-wired circuit with a flow switch that shuts the gas off if no air flow is detected and/or the gas pressure isn't within range, as required by code?" The answer to that question is yes, there most certainly was such a circuit.

Turns out, one of the maintenance guys a while back had a problem with the unit not starting, so their solution was to adjust the air flow switch so that it was always on, regardless of whether air was flowing or not. So basically the switch was effectively adjusted out of the circuit. So I guess the lesson I learned that day was never trust a hard wired circuit to save your programming mistakes.

I have to admit that I would probably have fallen for that one as well because it would not occur to me that a Boiler Op would ever tamper with a flame supervision system. This would be an instant dismissal offence on any site I have worked on. It does highlight the issue of bypassing protection however and the most impressive case of this I have seen was at a waste water treatment plant some years ago.
Part of the treatment process involved passing effluent through a large tank which was about 10M high by 3M diameter. Noxious gasses were removed from the tank by a large blower and fresh air entered via a filtration system to make up for this. After a number of nuisance overnight under-pressure trips one of the plant technicians checked the system out and could find nothing wrong so he bypassed the under-pressure switch which he suspected was the problem. The following morning he found the tank a crumpled mess looking just like a crushed coke can with catwalks and ladders sticking out at impossible angles. It turned out that the problem was that the air filters were freezing up overnight and the ice was clearing before anybody got to the system in the morning.

I have to admit that I would probably have fallen for that one as well because it would not occur to me that a Boiler Op would ever tamper with a flame supervision system. This would be an instant dismissal offence on any site I have worked on.

Thankfully nobody got hurt in my instance and the fire was contained to the inside of the burner chamber and nowhere else. Once it burned through all the combustible material it went out. It didn't even crack the ammonia coil next to it (that would have been bad, we probably would have lost the whole building, and THEN I would surely have been dismissed...although, I wouldn't have the program to look at to discover my mistake anyway.). But I got along very well with my supervisors at that job. The important thing was that I copped to it and didn't try to hide it.

Heck, one of the maintenance guys actually did burn down part of a building that cost $250,000 to rebuild because he decided to charge his 6V motorcycle battery with an 18V semi-truck (or Lorry to you) battery charger. The motorcycle then proceeded to explode. The guy didn't get fired, or punished....in fact he got a promotion six months later.

Up <> Down

I wrote a new subroutine for a PLC program, without having the main program on hand. I took my newbie apprentice on the job, and thought I'd give him some hands-on experience.

I told him to "upload the PLC program so we can add my subroutine then download the whole thing".

Well, evidently, to college kids, "DOWN-loading" generally means stealing music or software TO their computer, so he dutifully UP-loaded my (nearly empty) program into the PLC.

Fortunately I was able to get a backup of their original program e-mailed from another province, but what an embarrassment! Three and a half sheepish hours for what should have been a 10 minute install. The only redeeming thing was that it was *only* a data collection program, which is why I let him at it in the first place. No serious down-time.

Semantics, eh? And this lad had graduated college at THE top of his class. (I know; I taught him two courses.)

I was commisioning a machine with a 400HP vertical turbine water pump. I was spending most of my time hanging around waiting for the mechanical guys get their stuff in order. I was asked to start the motor so the mechanics could set the impeller height on the pump and decided I might as well use the OP station to see if it worked. I asked the guys where the water would go and they said no problem it was valved back into the pit. I started up the pump (from a location that I couldn't see it). Well they had the valves in the wrong position and the water ended up being pumped through an open end 8" pipe that was pointed at the control panel (with all the doors open of course). You would not believe the volume of water a pump that size can push out an open ended pipe. Literally blew a couple PLC cards right off the rack. I locked the panel out and went home without saying much of anything even though they were in a panic to get the machine running. I spent the next day testing and replacing components. I learned a few lessons that day.

Well, evidently, to college kids, "DOWN-loading" generally means stealing music or software TO their computer,....
The sad fact is they really think they know all about downloading, not ever realizing that the term is relative to the location. The download is FROM the internet server on the other end, but an upload TO their computer on the local end.

I've finally read through this thread entirely on my phone, in between putting out fires. Feels like I started 3 days ago. Good to know I'm not the only one who has idiot moments. Considering how long it took me to read through it, I've had a lot of time to reflect back on all my idiot moments and I must admit there are an embarrassing lot of them. For that reason, I'll just make categories and list the worst in each category.

Most expensive mistake:
Turned off an extruder in the middle of a first-of-it's-kind experimental production run on a $500K oilfield downhole cable. This was when I worked Machine Maintenance in a wire & cable plant. I was on night shift, and the whole team of engineers was there babysitting their project which had been in the works for months. They had run several small lengths and dialed in their process and this was the first actual production run. It was (armoring left-hand lay)>(preheat)>(extrusion)>(armoring right-hand lay)>(reheat)>(extrusion again). I opened the disconnect for the portable extruder right in the middle. They were right in the middle, and neither end was long enough to sell, so they lost the whole thing. In my defense, there was a 480V 20A disconnect with a single plug beneath it on a pole. There was no sticker or other indication that there was another outlet connected to it on another pole, utilizing the same conduit that fed the disconnect. I can still see the lead engineer pacing back and forth, clutching his hair, looking toward the ceiling and moaning, periodically pointing his finger at me and trembling, saying nothing but "YOU....YOU....YOU...!" I didn't lose my job. The only outcome was a lot of meetings and short-lived policy that any desire to open any disconnect in the plant (except in emergency) had to be cleared by engineering first.

Bloodiest flub:
I tripped and fell into a cabinet disconnect; the type where the disconnect is mounted to the back of the panel and has a pointed spear sticking out of it at eye level which guides into the back of the handle when you close the door. I was leaning forward to retrieve prints from the bottom of the panel when I tripped, and the thing gored me in the top of the head. The impact was enough to knock me off balance: I bounced off and I waffled around for a few steps and fell down. When I got up, all I saw was blood, everywhere. It took the guys 3 of those cootie containment kits to clean it up and the trail I left on the way to the bathroom.

Closest brush with firey electrical death:
We had a tubular strander that had 9 gimbles with VFDs on each. There was a big 480V rectifier in the main cabinet, about the size of a 100HP VFD, which fed 600-700VDC through slip rings out to all the VFDs. Also going through the slip rings was Profibus, and we had a lot of comms issues because of the slip rings. We had to crawl into the machine at least once per week (sometimes once or more per day) to clean the slip rings. It had become such a routine occurrence that I became lax in my LOTO adherence. I would just tell the operator (because there's only one operator) "hey, I'm turning off the power, I'll be done in about 10 minutes, I'll let you know." So I told the operator this, went and cut power, climbed into the machine and removed the slip ring guards and went about my business. Next thing I know there some alien sounding blood curdling shriek and my head slammed against the inside of the machine. Took me a second after to realize that I was the one who made that noise. In between the time I cut power and got into the machine, the shift change had occurred with no more turnover than a high-five, and the new operator came in, saw the power was off, flipped it on, and the rest is history. I laid my sweaty arm on that HVDC slip ring and I don't know if it went through my heart or what, but i was out of breath, or out of something for a good while, like I got punched real hard in the stomach.

Second closest brush with firey electrical death:
During a long extrusion run, the hot water tank for the cooling bath stopped being hot. I found that the thermocouple wire from the tank to the main panel had an open in it, so me and another guy who was even more of a NOOB than I, were asked by the night shift production supervisor to pull a new thermocouple wire, quickly, while the machine continued to run. "sure" I thought, "it's just low voltage stuff, even the controller is just 24V." So we proceeded to pull new steel braid externally shielded wire through the panduits in the panel and out to the conduit. I had the thermo wire wrapped several times around both hands for a better, stronger pull - a strong pull that drug the uninsulated steel braided wire right across a 480V buss bar. There was an almost instant puff of smoke along the whole length of the wire, including around my hands. It didn't shock me at all, considering it was already a low-ohm path to ground, but it did burn what looked like tiny tractor tire tracks into my hands for a few weeks. Melted a bunch of panduit too.

Worst troubleshooting ever:
This happened just a couple of weeks ago and I'm actually really embarrassed and ashamed of it. I think telling you guys will be therapeutic.
I went out and installed a 25hp drive on a customer's industrial washing machine. It was supposed to be a 30 min in&out job. The drive was tested at the shop prior, was already programmed and tuned. Just bolt it to the wall and connect the wires, which I did, and when I turned it on, it was dead. I checked and it had DC bus voltage, so I knew the internal fuse was good, but no lights on. I figured it was the power board, so I brought that back to the shop and went back out with a new power board, control board, and digital operator. Replaced all 3, still nobody home. So I brought the whole drive back, and found in the shop that the precharge resistor was open. Replaced that, went back out to the field, and installed it, minus connecting the braking unit since I figured that was the only thing that could blow out the precharge resistor. Found it shorted on the input. brought it back to the shop, and another guy replaced the input components and said it was good. I took it back out and installed it, and it looked like it was working but the drive was tripping on overvoltage on decel. Braking unit still was not firing. Had to get a new braking unit, and install it. So several trips out there, and the logical conclusion is that on my first visit I connected the braking unit backwords at the drive. I'd like to think I'm not that stupid, but if my above stories haven't clued you in, I just might be that stupid. So the customer is unhappy with the week+ of downtime and all the field service visits and I'm unhappy about it too. Wish I could unlive that one.

Last edited:
Worst personal stuff up, I was testing a Fire Panel and turned a key to Test that i din't know what it was and set off the floor popup foam extinguisher system in a Air Force hangar. Got banned from Aust Military bases and probably added to a Terrorist register :)

Umm why is there an advert attached to my word register? Hmm it's gone now with thia edit.

Went to a job where a Co-Worker had replaced a 415V Star/Delta Starter on a 100hp Dust Extractor, it blew up after 2 days, I installed the replacement gear, found some unblown stupidly oversized fuses in the supply and replaced them to correct rating, fired it up it started for a second then died, blew the fuses, went through and checked the motor wiring, it had been starting in reverse in Star then swapping to forward in Delta, I had always suspected it was possible but never seen it done before, was amazing it hadn't sheared the fan shaft off.

Last edited:
Here are my two worst.......so far.

Brand new Fluke 77 back in 1998 or 1999. Did a current test and forgot to move the probes back to the voltage socket and when I put them across 480. It blew up like it was a block of C4. Tripped a 60 amp breaker and another 200 amp breaker upstream. Left a blast pattern in the bottom of the enclosure a couple of feet across.

Forgot to put the DC bus endcap on a Allen-Bradley 1394 servo and accidentally put one finger across the 600 vdc 50khz exposed pins. Did not hurt much but it left my finger with permanent half mooned shaped scars on the tip. The smell of burning flesh is not a pleasant one.

Last edited:
...it left my finger with permanent half mooned shaped scars on the tip. The smell of burning flesh is not a pleasant one.
Baldone, I had the same type of scars on my left index finger from a brush across two 480 volt screw terminals. (The large junction box was properly locked out and tagged, but there was a second unlabeled circuit feeding in to it). It does not take long to find out you are on a 480 volt terminal! The good news is that this year, after about 15 years, one of the scars finally went away and the other is very faint. In another 5 years I should be completely recovered.

Three months ago I had this small tumor removed from the left side of my head. The surgeon said it was strange, a non-cancerous tumor growing in a blood vessel right above my left ear. He couldn't explain it, but I thought that brush with 480 volt death on my left-hand finger might have had something to do with it.

Last edited: