Writing good code.....what constitutes good code to you?

ptine said:
Que pasa com Terry Woods?

Terry Woods...he’s an instigator and a very argumentative person but he will make you think about everything, he has his opinions and the world has theirs (of course we are all wrong)

Damn...I miss him and the good threads with the long winded rants

Search his name and you will see what I'm talking about

Edit: He would have a few things to say about this topic :D

Good Code?

Good programming works ! and can be followed by another person without many hours of searching bits that are redundant to the process. Data tables and tag names should have structure and be logical to follow. Consistant naming in tags and comments is good practice. StPb<EQ-3304>C88 If this is a start Pushbutton on console #88, All I/O here should be labeled like this. Not"EQ-3304-stop". There could be 3 or many stop buttons for this machine. SpPb<EQ-3304>C88 tells me it is in the Console #88 and is a stop button. Poor programs work, but are packed full of code that can be removed and not affect the efficient operation.

I was hoping for more specific programming tips on how to actually organize a program. For example, organize your block transfers, messages between nodes, creating data tables that might somehow be easier to follow. Am I being too hopeful?

You may want a cookbook approach to programming where there is none and often none is needed. The advice given in the thread so far is enough to give you a sense of how to structure your programs. Each application tends to be different so do not be afraid to program to suit the job. In some cases, the basic principals can be followed all the time so just practice what works well for you with some of the advice here in mind. I personally like to do the same kinds of things job to job but am not adverse to being different when the situation warrants. Go for it!