XP home edition communication through PIC

john156cm

Hi all, I am running XP home edition using RSlinx gateway. Trying to communicate through a port replicator ( usb - rs232 ), using a PIC and trying to communicate with an allen bradley slc 500 (shoe box) or 1747 l40C. I have tried switching baud rates and linx configuration from service to application. Also switched all com ports. everything powered up the pic shows STOPPED and start isn't highlighted at all. I was assured the pic was working fine with linx light. My question is there another configuration I am missing since I am running XP home edition or is it even possible? Thanks for all the input from my previous posting, and thanks RON for your help.
john

RSLinx needs to be able to directly manipulate a PIC via the serial port signals so it won't work with a USB-RS232 converter and it won't work with WinXP. You'll have to resort to win95 or win98 with a true serisl port or get a different device, like a 1747-UIC and the necessary cable.

If I were to get the uic ( usb to adapter ) can different communication cords be bought to excess the rest of the slc family from adapter to plc's and eliminate the need to buy another complete setup. I am trying to find a way to communicate without going bankrupt or just give in and buy a pcmk card?

john156cm said:
If I were to get the uic ( usb to adapter ) can different communication cords be bought to excess the rest of the slc family from adapter to plc's and eliminate the need to buy another complete setup. I am trying to find a way to communicate without going bankrupt or just give in and buy a pcmk card?

The economical way to go would be the UIC for RS485, a USB-RS232 adapter (there are a few that work with RSLinx) for DF1, and a CAT 5 crossover for ethernet. If you do a lot of work with 5/04s or PLC5s then the its nice to have the PCMK because of the faster baud rates of DH+ but its expensive. I carry all of those in my bag.