XP SP3 experience

Been using SP3 since the beta without any issues on my various Rockwell software packages.

For me the biggest need for SP3 was that I do installs and reinstalls frequently. I had an XP install CD slipstreamed with SP2 so I could install XP with SP2. However after installing I had about 180 updates yet to install. So now I have an XP install CD slipstreamed with SP3. Now I can do an install with SP3 integrated. MUCH easier!!

As for Toshiba, I tested a Tecra A9 a month or so ago and XP gave me fits. The XP install did not recognize the Mass Storage Controller. The drivers on Toshiba's web site did not work properly for the SATA drive. I had to go to Intel's site to get the proper drivers. Vista worked like a charm but XP never really worked as it should.

I am testing a Fujitsu right now and while the XP install didn't recognize the SATA, the drivers did work as they should. So I know it wasn't me with the Toshiba!

OG

Operaghost said:
Been using SP3 since the beta without any issues on my various Rockwell software packages.

For me the biggest need for SP3 was that I do installs and reinstalls frequently. I had an XP install CD slipstreamed with SP2 so I could install XP with SP2. However after installing I had about 180 updates yet to install. So now I have an XP install CD slipstreamed with SP3. Now I can do an install with SP3 integrated. MUCH easier!!

As for Toshiba, I tested a Tecra A9 a month or so ago and XP gave me fits. The XP install did not recognize the Mass Storage Controller. The drivers on Toshiba's web site did not work properly for the SATA drive. I had to go to Intel's site to get the proper drivers. Vista worked like a charm but XP never really worked as it should.

I am testing a Fujitsu right now and while the XP install didn't recognize the SATA, the drivers did work as they should. So I know it wasn't me with the Toshiba!

OG

Win XP installs doesn't have the Sata drivers. Vista does. Trying to install XP on any new laptop will give u the creeps.
Trying to find the correct intel matrix storage drivers for your specific HDD will give you grey hair.....

There are quite a few freeware's/software on the net that allow you to integrate updates into a XP installation CD. Also allowing you to inegrate new drivers to the install CD. Takes only a few hrs to set it up right and then no need for the 100's of updates after new install.

At home I have WinXP SP2. No other updates and it still runs fine. No problems no nothing, so I doubt I will get SP3 as I don't see any need for it.

Don't do it! If you are a Rockwell Software guy, you have enough problems the way it is getting software to load/run properly. It would be wise to wait until Rockwell says they are SP3 compatible. And then wait a little longer...

I have been using SP3 for about a week now with absolutely no issues at all. Computer is definately running better and Omron CX-One has not had ANY issues at all with SP3.

Have not tried to run Siemens software yet and do not use AB at all these days so will have no issues with that.

Siemens program seems OK so far - just opened it and did a few things - but have not tried online.

...You're doomed to repeat it!

Based on history, if ANYONE has compatibility problems, it will be Rockwell. It seem like just yesterday, I installed SP2 on my notebook, only to have to go out THAT DAY and try to find a 1747-UIC. Boy, did I learn my lesson!

XP SP3 Problems

My laptop updated to XP SP3, unable to go online with RSLinx using a 1747-PIC/AIC driver. Tech support says they have had a several calls after people install SP3, Rockwell does not offically support XP SP3.
šŸ™ƒ

Hmmm... Just installed RSLogix500 and RSLogix5000 on a new laptop running XP SP3. They both install, but when you try to run either of them you immediately get an application error from Windows, some piece of code is trying to write to memory address 0xfffffff8. Question is, is this because it's SP3?

2nd question is, why is Rockwell software SO bad at supporting different versions of OSes (far worse than any other software I've ever come across)?

Mike

MikeBz said:
Hmmm... Just installed RSLogix500 and RSLogix5000 on a new laptop running XP SP3. They both install, but when you try to run either of them you immediately get an application error from Windows, some piece of code is trying to write to memory address 0xfffffff8. Question is, is this because it's SP3?

2nd question is, why is Rockwell software SO bad at supporting different versions of OSes (far worse than any other software I've ever come across)?

Mike

See below for the AB knowledgebase on the subject.
http://rockwellautomation.custhelp....F9zZWFyY2hfdGV4dD1YUCBTUDM*&p_li=&p_topview=1

Not so easy when new PCs ship with SP3 already installed... I could uninstall SP3, but that's probably asking for trouble too.

Mike

I installed SP3 on a few pc's and 2 of them had serious boot problems after. I went ahead and picked up a new laptop with vista on it and then used Vmware for my virtual xp installation. I slipstreamed SP3 hoping it would solve the previous issues i had. I got it up and running and everything worked until i tried to use rslinx. I started getting errors and i could not get online. i reinstalled the virtual install with sp2 and everything has been great since.

SP3 = problems

Well... I uninstalled SP3 from the Control Panel, which was surprisingly painless and smooth, uninstalled all the Rockwell stuff (again), reinstalled it (again), and.... same result. Still crashes trying to access an illegal memory address... Oddly the Setup program crashed in the same way after it had apparently finished it's work. I note that although the Windows setup has reverted to SP2 there is still a raft up recent XP updates installed, so I suppose the problem could be related to one of those.

I've tried booting in safe mode, same result.

Mike

Aha. Rockwell KnowledgeBase article 43152 - Problem/Symptom(s):
Failed to install RSLogix 5000 and it reports an error: "There was an error in component of the RSLogix 5000 application" as well as an application error with the faulting module NTDLL.DLL.

It's caused by EVICOM.SYS sitting on the root of the C drive. EVICOM.SYS is related to the Eversi activation scheme, it seems to get put there when I add an activation. I deleted it and Logix5000 now runs. So apparently nothing to do with SP3. Will I be re-installing SP3? Maybe not...

Mike

Installed it when it first came out. Have not had any compatibility issues but withing the last week every time it tries to update SVCHOST takes up 90% of system resources until I kill the process or let it complete looking for updates (over an hour). I've found fixes for this issue in SP2 but those are contained in SP3 so this is a new issue.