Y/Z Integrated Motorized Positioning Stage

dmargineau

Lifetime Supporting Member
Ready to give up and build something in-house...🔨

Been googling for a couple of days now and the only positive return was some Austrian outfit which seems to be happy operating strictly within the EU...:cry:

http://www.kml.at/downloads/KML_LMSM-D_EN.pdf

That's pretty much what I need!

A two axii (Y and Z) compact, motorized positoning stage with feedback which would carry a 10 lbs ( > $40K ) instrumentation device which needs to travel less than 200mm on each axis; the stage will position at intervals greater than several hours, will be located within an industrial environment and will be integrated on a A-B Logix platform.

Maybe the community will be able to assist a colleague in dire needs for a solution...Is it possible to find something like this available within North America?...🤞🏻

Ready to give up and build something in-house...🔨

Been googling for a couple of days now and the only positive return was some Austrian outfit which seems to be happy operating strictly within the EU...:cry:

http://www.kml.at/downloads/KML_LMSM-D_EN.pdf

That's pretty much what I need!

A two axii (Y and Z) compact, motorized positoning stage with feedback which would carry a 10 lbs ( > $40K ) instrumentation device which needs to travel less than 200mm on each axis; the stage will position at intervals greater than several hours, will be located within an industrial environment and will be integrated on a A-B Logix platform.

Maybe the community will be able to assist a colleague in dire needs for a solution...Is it possible to find something like this available within North America?...🤞🏻

The actuators are the simple part you could use pneumatic hydraulic screw and the list goes on.

The big question I have is what is your tolerance on positiioning. The sensors are the challenge here.

Need more info on your tolerances and how fast you need it to move to new position.

Dan Bentler

Dan,

The movement tolerances are quite generous; +/- 1mm will do.
A travel velocity higher than 10 mm/s would suffice.

The stage will reposition +/- 200mmm at days' intervals and it has at least an hour to do so.

I'd rather have an electrical drive mechanism since the available pneumatic and hydraulic systems pressures/flows vary some +/- 20%.

We built something like this for testing using a garage door opener. Worked very well for our needs - did 17,000 cycles.

I think take a look at electric driven linear actuators if you are looking for off the shelf solution for the actuator.

Sensing position will still be the big challenge do not forget to allow for contamination of sensors and cutting the wires and a thousand other "how can I screw this up" considerations.

Dan Bentler

Probably we could build something similar; servo motors stage with position feedback on EtherNet/IP Logix Motion commanded Kinetix 6500 drives as we have done in the past...
It's the time we'll have to spend with the development what prompted me to look for something already built...📚