yellow question mark on communication design (local) tab in FactoryTalk ME

olealf

Hi

I have a PV plus (latest firmware) programmed using FactoryTalk View Studio 8.

After downloading the runtime file, I am getting the following message:

There is an unsupported communication protocol. Do you wan to continue ?, after pressing yes the application is running fine (no getting any communication failure etc)

The PV is communicating through ethernet with a CompactLogix 1769-L30ER (RSLogix 5000 Version 20).

While online in the communication design(Local) tab I am getting a couple of yellow question marks associated with the digital input cards of the PLC (1769-IQ32 and OB32)however the analog cards dont have any issue, also the VFD (powerflex 753 with communication card 20-750ENTR) has the yelow question mark.

I have installed the latest version of RSLinx enterprise (V 5.71), but I still have those question marks

any suggestion ?

thanks

Hi

When I was installing the RSLinx Enterprise version 5.71, the process installed the latest EDS files. However, is thre a way to install EDS files in RSLinx enterprise ?

I am a humble student relatively new to Rslogix 5000 and have only downloaded EDS files once off of AB.com for my trainer. (I had a new software install with EDS files but it lacked my specific processor which was a bit older, 1769 L23E QBFC1B). That is assuming, bad word, that EDS files are the issue.

Hopefully someone with more experience will chime in. Good Luck,

Regards

Last edited:
You haven't said which PanelView Plus you are using?

But perhaps...

638383 - PanelView Plus 7 Standard terminals show a yellow ? in RSLinx Enterprise
Access Level: Everyone

Even if that doesn't sound like your issue, I would recommend installing the latest FactoryTalk View Patch Roll-up (Jan 2015), linked in that Technote.

Regards,
George

Hi

I have installed the newest patch, I am still have the same issue

I am using a PV plus 6 1000

Can anyone confirm for me whether or not RSLinx Enterprise even uses EDS files ?

In my experience, it does not. It doesn't install them, it doesn't use them. Updating or modifying or registering them will have no effect on RSLinx Enterprise in any way.

RSLinx Classic, yes. It uses EDS files. They finally went with an all-new way of handling them in v21.

But RSLinx Classic hard-codes the device identities of the very limited set of controllers and modules it supports. You have to patch or install fresh software to get support for new hardware.

Unless the yellow question mark is on an Ethernet interface module or on the CPU itself, it is immaterial to RSLinx Enterprise.

If the OP has created a Shortcut in RSLinx that points to something other than his controller, that might explain the "Unsupported Protocol" message.