Zelio programmable relay - Ethernet communication

rguimond

Lifetime Supporting Member
I set up a Zelio relay for totalizing supply & return flows for a boiler fuel oil a while back. There's a MODBUS over Ethernet card on the controller. Does anyone have even the slightest idea how to read from it? I've set up the logic to output integers to the card, but I can't find a protocol that'll let me retrieve it. I've tried PCs with Kepserver & LookoutDirect as well as UniOP & C-More HMIs.

I'm guessing I need a Modicon driver, but what do I populate all the driver setup fields with?

Solved!

I finally took the time to figure it out. Just in case anyone runs across a similar situation...

• Sent four integers to XT1 outputs (01, 02, 03 & 04)
  • The HMI was set to look for a Modicon Modbus Ethernet TCP/IP. It was necessary to set timeout to 20ms (probably because I have the controller plugged into a wireless client bridge).
  • Tags were set up to read addresses 40021, 40022, 40023 & 40024
Tomorrow I'll have to reprogram the Zelio to allow the HMI to write a "0" value to reset the daily consumption counter. That address will be 30021.

I was wrong about the input addresses. According to Schnieder literature, they're memory type "4", and start at address "0016". I spent half a day trying to get it to work, without success. After lunch, I decided to try 40017 instead of 40016 and it worked. Makes sense - 40017, 40018, 40019 and 40020 are inputs - 40021, 40022, 40023 & 40024 are outputs.

These programmable relays are prety neat. Dirt cheap, a decent LCD display (better than ML1000), and FBD programming.

Hi, I see this post was started more than a year ago, but maybe if you still see this and work with this Devices you can help me with something:

Do you remember where you read this information from?

Thanks!

You have to have a communication module for the Zelio - either Modbus or Serial. Set up your SCADA package or HMI to read from the addresses I posted earlier, using Modbus RTU protocol

Thanks for your answer, I had already tried what you posted before with success, but I need some formal documentation for this project I'm doing, hence the reason for my request...

Can you give me an example of "formal documentation"?

A User's guide/Manual, a brochure with the info you mention, etc... I have the "manual" that came with the SR3NET01BD extension module, but it says nothing on how to comunicate and configure this device.

How did you figure out those where the addreses of the Inputs/Outputs? You just tried every single number from 00000 to 40017? I guess not!

Thanks!

A User's guide/Manual, a brochure with the info you mention, etc... I have the "manual" that came with the SR3NET01BD extension module, but it says nothing on how to comunicate and configure this device.

How did you figure out those where the addreses of the Inputs/Outputs? You just tried every single number from 00000 to 40017? I guess not!

Thanks!

Open the on-line help application with the ZelioSoft 2, search for "Modbus Inputs/Outputs" and look for the cross-reference table that shows the Modbus inputs & outputs with the corresponding hex address in parentheses. The numbers in the partenthese are in Hexadecimal. Convert the address to decimal and preceed the address with a "4" (eg. 40017) to "read input register".