PLCS.net - Interactive Q & A

PLCS.net - Interactive Q & A (http://www.plctalk.net/qanda/index.php)
-   LIVE PLC Questions And Answers (http://www.plctalk.net/qanda/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   .af5 to .acd Translation (http://www.plctalk.net/qanda/showthread.php?t=129594)

marshallsmithx June 6th, 2021 04:12 PM

.af5 to .acd Translation

Hello out there! I have a .af5 file that I need to convert to a .acd to view and edit in RSLogix5000. However, I don't have the 6200 series or RSLogix5 software to be able to properly export the files in order to import to 5000. Does anyone have the software on an old box to be able to do this for me? If I were to send out the old program can anyone send me the new program that knows how to do this? Thanks in advance!

sigmadelta June 7th, 2021 11:31 AM

Try sending your file(s) to me and I'll see what I can do.

marshallsmithx June 7th, 2021 11:53 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Thank you @sigmadelta! Attached are the program files.

OkiePC June 7th, 2021 12:16 PM

When I tried to open the af5 file, I got errors claiming the file might be corrupt. It shows to be 1kb in size and looks pretty empty when viewed in Notepad++

You might try again making a new compressed folder.

marshallsmithx June 7th, 2021 12:36 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Thank you for trying to help me out. Attached are the files, that were saved in a different location, however the .af5 file is still only 1 KB. Maybe fruitless, but worth another shot...

OkiePC June 7th, 2021 12:46 PM

I got the same results. I don't have a way of creating a .af5 file from a .rsp file in order to see what a valid result looks like. I can export the database to those old formats using RSLogix5, but not the actual project file. There is data in some of the other files in your folder that appear to be address or instruction comments.

Is the PLC-5 still up and running? If so, maybe you can "borrow" someone with RSLogix5 to access the PLC-5 and upload the file and merge in the database.

marshallsmithx June 7th, 2021 01:06 PM

Unfortunately the PLC5 is not there anymore. Another programmer ripped it out and replaced it with a Compactlogix. The site has not run right since he "upgraded" the control system, so they fired him and hired me and the person that wrote the original PLC5 program back in the 90's to fix the mess. I have been getting these files from the original programmer that had them on his computer, but they must be corrupt. There is a chance the program still exists on the site computer, so we will have to make a trip out there and dig around. Thanks for trying!

sigmadelta June 7th, 2021 06:13 PM

1 Attachment(s)
I'm attaching the file that I saved in RSLogix 5, and RSLogix 5000.

Note: I did zero modifications... the files are "as is"... I may not have selected proper tag/address conversions in the dialog boxes.

OkiePC June 7th, 2021 06:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sigmadelta (Post 887383)
I'm attaching the file that I saved in RSLogix 5, and RSLogix 5000.

Note: I did zero modifications... the files are "as is"... I may not have selected proper tag/address conversions in the dialog boxes.

Not sure how you got that to work from the file uploaded here by the OP, but I am interested in learning how you did it, please and thank you.

sigmadelta June 8th, 2021 04:58 AM

All I did was open the .AF5 file with RSLogix 5, save as an .RSP file, then follow the instructions to import the .RSP file in RSLogix 5000. The RSLogix 5 version is V7.3, and the RSLogx 5000 version is V20 or less in Windows 7 32-bit, if that makes any difference.

marshallsmithx June 8th, 2021 06:11 AM

Thank you guys very much for all your help. I've been a member of this forum for 10 years, and I can't tell you how many times it has helped me throughout my career. You guys are the best!

Engineerj22 June 10th, 2021 03:40 PM

It does matter. My Win10 x64 Rslogix 5 v7.4 can't open it, but the rslogix 5 v7.3 on my winXP vm can open it!

OkiePC June 11th, 2021 09:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Engineerj22 (Post 887689)
It does matter. My Win10 x64 Rslogix 5 v7.4 can't open it, but the rslogix 5 v7.3 on my winXP vm can open it!

That might explain why my RSLogix 5 version 8.00 (on Win10 Pro) would not open it. Thanks for that info.

sigmadelta June 11th, 2021 09:39 AM

To satisfy curiosity, in Win10 Pro, try right-clicking the shortcut to RSLogix 5, and run in Win 7 or Win XP compatibility mode.

OkiePC June 11th, 2021 10:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sigmadelta (Post 887737)
To satisfy curiosity, in Win10 Pro, try right-clicking the shortcut to RSLogix 5, and run in Win 7 or Win XP compatibility mode.

I tried compatibility for Windows 7 and for Windows XP (SP2) and it did not help.

sigmadelta June 11th, 2021 04:14 PM

This is the answer (paraphrasing):

If you get the "File Could not be Loaded Error Opening File" in Windows 7 (or Windows 10 for that matter), try using Windows XP. If you get the same error, the file is corrupted.

My gut feeling is that this function doesn't work in 64-bit operating systems. Similar to RSView32 to FTView conversions... I had to do it in Windows 7 32-bit.