TCP Socket help

sfindley

I have a question for you ControlLogix gurus out there. I have a measurement device that uses RS232 communications. I'm using an AnyBus converter to communicate via TCP/IP with a ControlLogix 1756-L61 Revision 19.11. I need to communicate with an old, Toshiba T3H PLC that uses an EN-311 ethernet card. The I/O server, VMCAST, that the Toshiba uses to talk to Wonderware is not designed to pass information from the HMI to the PLC continuously.

The short version/question is...is it possible to establish a TCP socket interface with a 1756-ENBT. I have searched this and other forums and read the manual...and I'm confused. Here are a few threads that talk about it, but there is no definite answer.

http://www.plctalk.net/qanda/showthread.php?t=16523&highlight=enbt+tcp
http://www.plctalk.net/qanda/showthread.php?t=62002&highlight=enbt+tcp
http://www.plctalk.net/qanda/showthread.php?t=68993&highlight=tcp+socket
If it is possible, where can I find the documentation on it? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Are trying to talk to raw sockets or Modbus TCP/IP? you might want to look at a Redlion data station or a Real Time Automation Gateway. Both companies make some great units.

I hit send to fast. Everyday this week I have used a redlion to do protocol conversions. A couple of odd ball jobs.
The RTA is the simplest setup I have ever used to get data into or out of an AB PLC. 15 minutes I can have a barcode scanner putting data into the CLX or a serial Marquee displaying data out the Ethernet port. This is not using any canned code writing it all from scratch. Super easy.
Either piece of hardware would save you time and money.

I keep both pieces of hardware on my shelves just in case I need them.

The "raw sockets" capability is present in the 1756-EWEB and 1768-EWEB modules, which replaced the I/O scanner functionality of the -ENBT with e-mail, web server, and raw socket functions.

In RSLogix 5000 v20, the feature has been added to the high-performance ControlLogix Ethernet modules (1756-EN2T, -EN2F, -EN3T, -EN3F), and to all of the new 5370 family CompactLogix controllers.

There are some example code snippets in the Knowledgebase, and the Publicatio 1756-UM527 User Manual for the 1756-EWEB has the full documentation on the socket management Message codes in ControlLogix.

The Data Station Plus might be a very good option as well if you're looking for a central device that the ControlLogix, RS-232 measurement device, and Toshiba T3H could all talk to.

Some corrections to Ken'post:

ENT2, EN2TR, EN3TR and EN2F have socket functionality with firmware 5.7, v20 is not required.
Manual is ENET-AT002,
To find technotes search knowledgebase for "eweb sockets"