FTV SE, Compactlogix & MS Access

JonAW

Hi Guys,

I've been working on and off on a new Feed blending plant for a while now. The system has been batching away now for 6 or 7 months without any issues other than minor teething problems. I'm now designing an MS Access database system to allow a nutritionist to make up the recipes on a remote computer, the operator to pull the recipes off the system and create the batches, the system will then record the details of each batch to allow the office staff to create correct invoices and tracking of the material.

At the minute I have the recipe storage tables communicating via VBA to FTV SE the way i want it to. What I want to know now is what is the 'correct' way to pull the batch information from the plc once completed. My thoughts were as follows:

• Create a tag group within an always open window such as the title bar in FTV SE.
  • When a batch is complete load a FIFO with the Batch UDT in the plc.
  • If the database is available and the FIFO has 1 or more locations stored unload the FIFO into another UDT.
  • Read the UDT via VBA into FTV SE
  • Open the database and write the information into the database.
  • Verify all information has been transferred correctly
  • Close the database
  • Reset the bit preventing the FIFO from unloading the next batch

The use of the FIFO is incase the FTV SE screws up (which wouldn't be unknown), it will allow the plc to keep running and store the data until the database becomes available again.

Am I anywhere near the way of doing things? I'm very much a newbie to VBA and have been getting by by taking samples on the net and editing them to suit my application with success. If there is a better process of doing this please let me know.

thanks

Jonny

... What I want to know now is what is the 'correct' way to pull the batch information from the plc once completed.

The 'correct' way is one that you feel comfortable with and works.

I've seen many people talk about the way to do something and I realize that there are 5 - 50 ways to 'skin a cat' and not all of them do I approve, yet they work for someone.

... I'm very much a newbie to VBA and have been getting by by taking samples on the net and editing them to suit my application with success.

That is a method used by many newbies (although some never bother to try to resolve something themselves - they just go to a forum and say 'hey, give me something') and experts alike.

I believe the FIFO or some form of buffering is critical whenever you are collecting data - I'm not sure that you can additionally restrict unloading the batch until the bit is cleared but your circumstances may dictate that.

All in all, I think your approach is well founded.