OPC Server Tag to Webpage

dripdry

Good Morning.

I'm kinda stuck and I'm reaching out for some help.

I use WinCC SCADA for data collection and their runtime environment. However, it doesn't work on phones or tablets, or anything that doesn't have Internet Explorer...

I'm in a situation where I need to be able to get some tags (read only) out to a webpage. This could be .net or something, the method doesn't matter much to me. I just need tags, updated reasonably quickly (1s, 2s max), on a webpage.

What would the cheap solution?

Thanks in advanced,
J

A “cheap” and quick solution would probably be to add an inexpensive hmi that supports your task

Updating WinCC And adding WebUX would probably be a task you don’t want to tackle

Really kinda want this to be mobile... I have the tags on an OPC Server, I have both WinCC SCADA, and I can also use Kepserver...

There has to be a cheap (cheaper than the cheapest HMI) way to get them onto a webpage from an OPC Server.

Mobile is just wireless on your WinCC network.
So does your WinCC version support WinCC WebUX ?

Yeah, we have WebUX. It's just Internet Explorer only, and requires add-ons for internet explorer as well.

datahub is a path I went down, the web package is $5K on top of the cost of a basic license. They also still use Silverlight, so that's again locked down to Internet Explorer.

The easiest way without additional cost, will be a global script in the WinCC runtime executed every 5 seconds for example, which writes the tag values to a simple text file, using json format for example. Setup a webserver (IIS, Apache, node.js, etc.) with a single static html page, which loads the json file with the tagvalues via Ajax.

Licensing
The WinCC/WebUX basic package with an integrated WinCC WebUX Monitor license are already included in WinCC.
The licensing packages are as follows and run in parallel on the WinCC/WebUX server:
● WinCC WebUX Monitor: User has read-only access
● WinCC WebUX Operate: User has read and write access
The licensing packages are available with 1, 5, 10, 50 and 100 clients. The packages are not version-dependent and can be combined with each other.

Webux.PNG

Last edited:
Licensing
The WinCC/WebUX basic package with an integrated WinCC WebUX Monitor license are already included in WinCC.
The licensing packages are as follows and run in parallel on the WinCC/WebUX server:
● WinCC WebUX Monitor: User has read-only access
● WinCC WebUX Operate: User has read and write access
The licensing packages are available with 1, 5, 10, 50 and 100 clients. The packages are not version-dependent and can be combined with each other.

Ok, I was definitely getting the two confused. I must not have any WebUX licenses. I have the software but when I turned the service on, I just get an error message 503 in the browser saying I'm not licensed for this.

So WebUX would give me the ability to create a webpage, (I'm assuming with Graphic Designer?) and see rapidly updated tags? I just want to make sure that is what I need before I get any further.

Ok, I was definitely getting the two confused. I must not have any WebUX licenses. I have the software but when I turned the service on, I just get an error message 503 in the browser saying I'm not licensed for this.

So WebUX would give me the ability to create a webpage, (I'm assuming with Graphic Designer?) and see rapidly updated tags? I just want to make sure that is what I need before I get any further.

WebUX allows you to more or less right click on any screen, and say "make this available on mobile". There are certain controls that aren't supported; it isn't 100% the functionality of the full runtime, but it does a whole lot. Certainly displaying tags, etc.

You CAN use the existing screens, but I'd recommend remaking the screens you want on mobile, since the display ratios will likely be very different (portrait vs landscape, etc).

WebUX allows you to more or less right click on any screen, and say "make this available on mobile". There are certain controls that aren't supported; it isn't 100% the functionality of the full runtime, but it does a whole lot. Certainly displaying tags, etc.

You CAN use the existing screens, but I'd recommend remaking the screens you want on mobile, since the display ratios will likely be very different (portrait vs landscape, etc).

Ok, awesome. I just got WebUX running. I didn't realize I even had this capability - I did have the ability to get one user running in webux.

Now, is there a way I can hand code pages? This whole log in system and stuff is way more secure than what we need. Our server is not connected to the internet. Is there a way to just get a few things on a webpage without a login?