programming wago 750-842?

oregonsam

I am playing with a wago ethernet controller 750-842, and finally got it connected to my computer network. My question is...Can I program it with CoDeSys or do I need the Wago IO Pro32 program (I have downloaded demo versions of both). AND what are the limitations of the downloadable software vs. a liscensed version. So far, I haven't been able to download my program to the "PLC" with codesys, I keep getting a message that the program must be correct (or something like that) even though the program compiled.
Thanks for any advice.
Sam

You do need Wago IO program. CoDeSys is a generic programming environment; 3D Software offers it to anyone who is willing to manufacture PLCs but does not want to spend time to develop their own programming software.

For a cost of a license, 3D Software grants the right to use CoDeSys and provides information on how to write the software module that links CoDeSys to the particular hardware. That is why the programming software for Wago and Beckhoff look so similar - yet one will not work with another. However, most of the source code can be copied between the two.

thanks guys. What about the difference between the demo and the actual software? My understanding is that they are the same. That everything works, HMI, online, etc. but you can't save it permanantly on the PFC. Is this correct?

The WAGO I/O Pro CAA demo software can be downloaded from WAGO's website for free, no registration is required.
In the US: http://www.wago.us in the downloads section.

IO Pro CAA, is a version of Codesys v2.3 that contains the WAGO PLC targets. Without these targets, you wont find any of the WAGO PLC's in the list to choose from, and the compiler will not know what PLC you are using.

The only limitation of the demo version over the full WAGO IO Pro-CAA (759-333), is that you cannot create a 'boot project'. This function places your project into non-volatile memory. So, when you power cycle the PLC, your program will be lost. (Not a major issue for just testing the software out however.)

An introduction to Codesys video can be found here:
http://youtu.be/pIPR5rTQY6A

You do need Wago IO program. CoDeSys is a generic programming environment; 3D Software offers it to anyone who is willing to manufacture PLCs but does not want to spend time to develop their own programming software.

This answer is partially correct. You can use CoDeSys, but you will need to have the Wago Targets installed in the CoDeSys environment. I use 750-842, 75-841 and mostly the 750-871 and use CoDeSys Version 2.3 to program all of these processors. Contact Wago US technical support at (800)346-7245 and tell them that you have a 750-842 and you need the updated CoDeSys programming environment to program it. They will probably setup an FTP transfer for you to download the software.

Regards

Just a word of warning about the policy of this forum.
If your goal is to get access to a program that has been password protected, your only option is to obtain the password by legitimate means. If that particular hardware comes with a default password, try using it. If that doesn't work, don't expect help here beyond any suggestions that might be included in the user manual.
If your goal is simply to reuse the hardware with a new program that you will write, then suggestions about ways to return the unit to its out-of-the-box condion are acceptable.