Access SLC I/O via DH+ in Logix5000

TimD

Lifetime Supporting Member
Hello All,

I have a remote SLC processor with some I/O I need to access via my main controller, which is a ControlLogix.

I tried adding the DH+ card to my I/O configuration, but got an error 16#ff00 Connection Request Error: No Connection Instance

Upon Googling this error, some engineers leave out the card from the I/O config altogether, which seems odd to me that the module profile exists, but that has to do with RIO mode, which I am not using.

Anyway, I need to access the I/O. So I was hoping for a jump start before I dive into the DH+ manuals tonight. I've commissioned my whole system up until the DH+ link

I appreciate any advice and help.

Thank You,

Tim

Hello All,

I have a remote SLC processor with some I/O I need to access via my main controller, which is a ControlLogix.

I tried adding the DH+ card to my I/O configuration, but got an error 16#ff00 Connection Request Error: No Connection Instance

Upon Googling this error, some engineers leave out the card from the I/O config altogether, which seems odd to me that the module profile exists, but that has to do with RIO mode, which I am not using.

Anyway, I need to access the I/O. So I was hoping for a jump start before I dive into the DH+ manuals tonight. I've commissioned my whole system up until the DH+ link

I appreciate any advice and help.

Thank You,

Tim

I don't believe you have to put the DHRIO in the I/O List to use it for DH+. If you have a look at the Logix 5000 Instruction Reference Chapter 4, it explains the Routing information you have to put in the Message Instruction.

http://literature.rockwellautomation.com/idc/groups/literature/documents/rm/1756-rm003_-en-p.pdf

Stu.....

thanks sthompson. I knew the MSG instruction would be the one to use, I appreciate the direct 'push' to the instruction. It's my first ControlLogix process, and MSG is configured vastly different here, than in Logix500

I understand the routing, that part is the same, but the initial setup (message structure) has me at the moment. I keep getting "Invalid Message Tag in corresponding operand".

Almost there already, and Thanks.

Last edited:
When you create the message, just type in a new tag name, then right click it and click "New 'yourtag'" it should create the tag for you with the tag type MESSAGE already chosen.

Now, I am not sure if you can MSG Read SLC I/O directly, and even if you can, I would recommend mapping them to internal addresses in the SLC anyway. Then MSG SLC Typed Read those internal addresses.

EDIT: I just tried with a Compactlogix to read I:1.0 from a SLC and got an error "Invalid Remote Element for SLC Message Type" so I think mapping is going to be required.

Last edited:
one more potential "gotcha" ...

be sure to set the tags in the ControlLogix for INT type - to match the SLC's 16-bit data format ...

Last edited:
Thanks Guys. OK on the INT Ron. And Okie, I never thought to right-click and create a tag from the instruction, cool!

First-time through... :)

Anyway, I still get the error "Invalid Message Tag in corresponding operand" when I try to click the ".." configuration button on the instruction.

Thanks Again for the guidance all

Okay, I can duplicate that...it shows up in the bottom border message area in Logix5000 when the MSG tag is not valid.

Put the tag in the MSG instruction first, and make sure it is a valid tag of the type MESSAGE. The "..." needs a place to store all the stuff it's going to show you in the dialog box, and the MESSAGE type tag is the place where all that stuff is stored.

Okay, I can duplicate that...it shows up in the bottom border message area in Logix5000 when the MSG tag is not valid.

Put the tag in the MSG instruction first, and make sure it is a valid tag of the type MESSAGE. The "..." needs a place to store all the stuff it's going to show you in the dialog box, and the MESSAGE type tag is the place where all that stuff is stored.

Thanks, Okie!

Works like a charm. I think I'm OK from here out, but if I get stuck, I'll post to this thread.

Thanks everybody, for helping me transition to this new platform.

Back so soon...

So now I have a connection problem.

Since I can't use my DH+ card in the I/O Config (as posted at the top), I have to manually 'reach out' to the SLC

What I know:

DH+ card is in a remote I/O rack accessible via ControlNet (Node #3), slot 9

DH+ Card uses Channel A #02

SLC DH+ is via Channel 1 on the SLC CPU (Slot 0)

I created the following path: 1,3,1,9,1,0
1=Backplane, 3=ControlNet port, 1=backplane on remote IO, 9=DH+ card slot, 1=SLC Backplane, 0=SLC Slot

I keep getting connection failure errors :(

Hope there's hope!