installing rockwell software on new notebook

All I can suggest is to disable auto-connection of USB devices to the Guest, and then see if you can manually connect the HASP dongle to the VM.

Did you install the HASP dongle drivers in the host Windows 7 OS ? Maybe you need to *not* have them installed on the Host, so that drivers on the Guest can run the dongle.

Ken,

I thought of that, sorry I should have given more information.

But this an interresting thought. What I did was unintall all the Hasp (or Safenet) devices in the device manager. Rebooted and as soon as I plugged the USB dongle in win 7 started downloading drivers from win updates and had it installed again before I could get the VM warmed up.

Maybe I need to look into this more and find out how to stop the automatic install.

I ran into this today with the SIEMENS Logo usb driver. In my case I had to install the driver in the Win7 host before it would transfer the device to the guest. If the guest is in a window there is a status thing at the lower right corner where you can connect a device manually.

Thanks Paul B. That is the exact time that the error occurs, when I connect the device manually. I can connect all my other devices with the exception of the dongle.

VMware does not support PCMCIA slots and they do not intend to.

Users have had mixed results using an external PCMCIA/USB adapter. My laptop doesn't even have PCMCIA.

OG

That could get pricey when you consider an office of 10+ programmers. The issue we have is that we all PCMK cards. The new laptops we are getting have slots, but don't support the cards. I guess they are made primarily for wireless cards. So, at this point it is not a VMWare limitation, but a machine limitation.

Has anyone used a generic alternative to the 1784-u2dhp or similiar... meaning an eBay special?

Some users have reported success with the Duel Systems PCMCIA/USB adapter and the 1784-PCMK. Some haven't. RA doesn't test it and probably won't, as the -PCMK has been out of production for several years and therefore isn't considered a current product.

You can get a substantial discount on a 1784-U2DHP by trading in a 1784-PCMK, through the "Step Forward" commercial program.

I love the 1784-U2DHP because it works with Frontline Test Equipment's decoder and analysis software, a tremendous benefit to hardcore A-B networking guys like me.